In these tough times, it is absolutely critical you continue to demonstrate your value to your employer, to your clients and to your colleagues on a daily basis. Adding value is THE buzz-word for safe-guarding your career and propelling yourself to the top of your profession.
Showing initiative is a MUST DO in demonstrating your value at work. Initiative correlates strongly with personal achievement and professional development; it is the act of taking personal responsibility for your growth, and it is a clear sign of your capacity to develop as a leader. So, what are you waiting for? Take action today; don't wait to be asked - be proactive. Consider the following ideas for lighting the fire of initiative in your daily work life:
- Always be alert for ways to make something work better. Make the suggestion. Volunteer to take ownership for getting it done.
- Take it upon yourself be the first to adopt and implement the newest company policy.
- Stay alert for ideas to simplify processes and find new and better ways of doing things. Proactively suggest those improvement ideas. Be the example for implementing those processes.
- Stay alert for ways to save money and reduce costs. Raise your hand to communicate those suggestions as quickly as possible.
- Reach out to colleagues and team members who need help.
- Be the first to volunteer for those tough projects and assignments.
- Always think ahead, preempt likely obstacles with well-thought-out plans that take those obstacles into consideration.
- Provide, in advance, the answers to the questions you know are going to be asked. Think like your boss/manager and consider all deliverables from their perspective before you submit them. Always review your work from the elevation of 30,000 feet.
- Always do your homework; always be prepared. Read the material in advance, research the subject matter in advance, dig in and immerse yourself in the topic at hand
- Deal with problems immediately; take action and be decisive. Get it done, and get it behind you as quickly as possible.
Make it happen! Be a role model for showing initiative; demonstrate your capacity as a leader. Make the choice to lead with action and initiative; your value will soar.
Andy Robinson: Executive Career Coach, Career Success Radio Show Host, Personal Branding Strategist, Consultant, Speaker. I help my clients love what they do for a living and achieve lasting career success. I am a 15 year executive coaching veteran and work with coaching clients nationwide. Previous experience includes over 10 years with PricewaterhouseCoopers as a consulting director and human resources specialist.