If the weather in your city has turned hot and sultry, it is a good time to take special precautions, more so if you intend spending long hours in the outdoors.
For starters, you need to keep yourself well-hydrated. In addition, be on the lookout for tell-tale signs from your body like an increase in the heart rate, color of urine getting darker etc. These are early signs that all is not well with your body and that the summer heat is taking its toll.
The most important health check during summers relate to dehydration. This usually takes place when the body loses too much fluids and electrolytes like potassium and sodium. So, staying healthy during summer is not just about eating the right foods. Check out the list below on things that will help you stay cool during the hot season.
- Drink lots of water. Do not wait till you feel thirsty. Just keep drinking water as your body needs it in abundance to prevent dehydration during summer months. Take special care of children, especially infants and toddlers. They dehydrate much faster than adults.
- If you are an asthmatic or suffer from other respiratory diseases, monitor the quality of air daily and ensure that the inhaler is handy or that you have the prescribed medication within reach when you go out into the hot sun.
- It is a good idea to take a nap mid-day. Do not push yourself beyond physical limits for any reason. Energy sapping happens faster than you often realize.
- Sunscreen is not a fashion accessory. Sunburns can be as painful as they are ugly and can cause permanent skin damage. Try to find out the right type of cream for your skin before using it.
- Wearing light colored clothing is an absolute must as dark colors absorb light. Loose-fitting dresses are also another must in summer months.
- The heat can damage your eyes and cause it to water. So, try wearing sunglasses every time you step out into the hot weather. Remember, the shades also protect you from the UV rays.
- Limit intake of fat and sugar during summer months to maintain your energy levels. Go for more fruits, vegetables on carbohydrates.
- In case you are planning to take a summer break, be sure to pack in a few must-have items in your bags. Things like calamine lotion and baking soda will guard against insect bites.
- In case you suffer from allergy of any kind and are planning summer travel, it is a good idea to test and find out the causes for allergy so that you have medication around.
- Learn to catch the warning signals from your body. Things like discoloration of the urine or an increased heartbeat is a cause for concern. Heat stroke is a big killer around the world.