Halloween celebrations turned deadly in New Orleans when a series of shootings killed two people and injured 13 more early Tuesday morning.

Police confirmed four separate shootings as costumed residents crowded the French Quarter and Canal Street. The first happened on Bourbon Street just after midnight, killing a 25-year-old man and injuring seven others. Another took place on Canal Street at about 1:45 a.m., killing a 19-year-old man and wounding three, CNN reported.

According to WWL, a local CNN affiliate, the third and fourth shootings happened at 4 a.m. and 5:30 a.m., wounding three people total.

Apparently one or two people were shooting or shooting at each other for reasons unknown when eight people were struck by the gunfire, the New Orleans Police Department said in a statement about the first shooting. The injured people were expected to survive.

Bourbon Street Affected

The shooting caused chaos on Bourbon Street as Halloween revelers fled.

I've never seen so many people on Bourbon Street scatter to the sides, one woman told WWL. I've never seen that in my life.

The police do not believe any of the shootings were related. They arrested Baltiman Malcom, 24, in connection with the Canal Street shooting, but no arrests had been made in the other incidents as of Tuesday morning.

After a foot pursuit, Malcom and another suspect [were] detained, the police said in a statement. The third suspect managed to escape. Officers located a gun on the scene. Apparently an argument took place, at which time the man was shot several times and died at the hospital.

Malcom has been charged with one count of first-degree murder and three counts of attempted first-degree murder.