By Maruchy Lachance is president of Running Ninja!, a lifestyle brand for runners by runners. Running Ninja! offers a wide variety of apparel and gifts for runners to keep you happy and inspired while you're on the run.
The most important thing I repeatedly see in people who have successfully adopted a healthier lifestyle is that they have personalized it. So many of the diet and exercise programs that are pitched to us on a daily basis are all about taking one formula and applying it to the masses. It's no wonder so many people try and fail using these methods.
I talked to a few friends and family members who are living a healthy lifestyle and they shared with me some of the ways they have made this journey more personal and more successful.
- Maggie kicked her daily soda habit by replacing it with seltzer water and sometimes spiking it with juice or a squeeze of lemon or lime.
- Samantha had a lifelong love affair with dessert after dinner, an affair she was not willing to give up. Her solution is to allow herself a dessert a day as long as it is 100 calories or less. She has found a variety of 100-calorie desserts to keep her satisfied and fit.
- Chris is a self-admitted carnivore. In an effort to keep the beef, but cut out as much of the fat as possible, he now makes his lean meat burgers by adding oatmeal to the mix. He can still enjoy a thick juicy burger but with half the meat.
Adapting exercises to your life:
- After years of trying to use the hundreds of dollars worth of exercise equipment he purchased for his home Rob finally decided he was best motivated at a gym. He sold and donated all of his equipment and joined a 24 hour gym near his work. Now he makes it a point to either work out on his way to work or on his way home from work.
- The best exercise for beginners and couch potatoes is walking, or even running if you are up for it. You can do these exercises on your time and at your own pace. It's the perfect starter and gateway exercise to a lifelong healthy habit!
You are unique and should embrace that daily, especially when it comes to your food and fitness!
Reproduced from Dietsinreview