Kenneth Thompson, the lead attorney for Dominique Strauss-Kahn's accuser, has asked the District Attorney to step down from the case which he believes has been mishandled, and wants a special prosecutor appointed, the International Business Times has learned.

This decision came during a meeting with prosecutors in the offices of the Manhattan District Attorney at 1 Hogan Place in Lower Manhattan.

District Attorney Vance, we ask in earnest that your office voluntarily recuse itself from the Strauss-Kahn case and that you appoint a special prosecutor, Thompson wrote.

We had a constructive meeting. That's all we're going to say, said Ben Brafman, the lead attorney for Strauss-Kahan told reporters, who had been waiting outside the office of Cyrus Vance Jr. the Manhattan District Attorney.

Prosecutors Friday released former IMF Director Dominique Strauss-Kahn, after serious questions were raised about the credibility of the woman who accused him of sexual assault.

Investigators in the Manhattan District Attorney's office have discovered significant inconsistencies with the account of the chambermaid who claimed Strauss-Kahn sexually assaulted her in a luxury hotel room in May, sources said Thursday.

Revelations the accuser allegedly considered financial gain and engaged in relationships categorized as questionable with a drug dealer prompted Manhattan prosecutors to inform his lawyers and submit to a bail modification hearing Friday, court sources said.

“We have no comment. The investigation is ongoing,” said a spokeswoman for the DA’s office. This development comes as prosecutors were privately mulling whether or not to continue prosecuting the case.