When the Inhumans say they’re starting a war, they’re not messing around. The “Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.” Season 2 finale pitted Coulson’s (Clark Gregg) team against the Inhumans after Jiaying (Dichen Lachman) killed Gonzales (Edward James Olmos). The two-hour finale (which included episodes 21 and 22) featured hostages, deaths, amputations, stolen jets and more. Here are the most shocking moments from the last episode of “S.H.I.E.L.D.” Season 2:
1. Stolen plane. Right after Jiaying was shot, Gordon (Jamie Harris) stole a S.H.I.E.L.D. jet and launched missiles at Afterlife. Jiaying immediately asked why Skye (Chloe Bennet) let her friends do this, and her daughter thought S.H.I.E.L.D. was attacking.
2. Skye fought May. Believing that her team just tried to kill her mother, Skye wasn’t about to let May (Ming-Na Wen) do anything. After an intense hand-to-hand fight, Skye was on the ground. May wanted Skye to help her fix this, but Skye got up and used her powers on May. She was knocked down. “Sorry May, you’re not welcome here,” Skye said.
3. Raina’s prophecy. “My destiny is to help you become what you’re supposed to be,” Raina (Ruth Negga) said. She claimed they’d never speak again, but Skye would soon see that her mother was misleading the Inhumans. Skye is their true leader. Skye assumed Raina was full of lies.
4. Healing. It turns out that Jiaying’s ability to stay young comes at a price. Jiaying sucked the life out of a human in order to heal. When Skye asked about how she healed so quickly, Jiaying blamed good doctors and “the generosity of others.”
5. Raina’s death. “I’m here to show the Inhumans exactly what you are,” Raina told Jiaying. “Even in the darkness, they will see the truth.” Jiaying wouldn’t let that happen and stabbed Raina in the neck. She didn’t realize that her daughter was right behind her. Skye watched Jiaying viciously kill Raina. Jiaying said the prophet threatened her, but Skye realized that Raina’s vision was right.
6. Agent 33’s past. During her time at Hydra, Bobbi (Adrianne Palicki) gave Agent 33 (Maya Stojan) over to Whitehall. Mockingbird denied it, and Ward (Brett Dalton) brought out some needles to torture her. Bobbi said that she had to trade Agent 33 for the lives of dozens of agents. “If I ever apologize or beg for mercy while you torture me, know that I don’t mean a word of it,” Bobbi said.
7. Ward’s trap. Ward turned Bobbi’s phone on so her friends could trace it and fall into a trap. Whoever opened the door to Bobbi's room first would get shot. Ward and Kara watched surveillance video. They wanted Bobbi to watch Hunter (Nick Blood) die, so they planned to take out the other agents. Ward wanted to take out May himself. Bobbi scooted her chair in front of the gun to take the bullet. Bobbi stopped breathing in the plane and wasn’t in great shape by the time Simmons (Elizabeth Henstridge) got to her.
8. Ward killed Kara. May sent out a message on the radios for agents to meet her in a specific corner. She told them not to let their guard down until they saw her face, so Kara turned her mask on when she heard May’s orders on an agent’s radio. Ward didn’t hear the call, so he shot May as soon as he saw her. It was actually Kara. He killed the woman he loved.
9. Cal’s powers. Fans finally saw Cal's powers in full force. Simmons said Cal (Kyle MacLachlan) should be dead after the combination of drugs (which included methamphetamines and gorilla testosterone). “If I wasn’t born with Inhuman powers, then I would make my own,” he explained. He said it was always highly unstable and could kill him. It was worth the risk. He revealed that he was a Trojan horse. He planned to take out as many agents as possible.
Coulson pointed out that he was doing Jiaying’s dirty work. Coulson said that Jiaying was worse than Cal. That made Skye’s father so mad that his heart gave out. Simmons gave him a shot of adrenaline, which was apparently the extra ingredient that his concoction needed. He fell off the bed and came up looking larger, with crazy hair and nails. He was officially his persona that comic book fans are familiar with: Mr. Hyde.
10. Cal and Coulson team up. Cal was angry, and Coulson tried to take him down with an ICER gun. Eventually, Coulson was able to hit him with a car. It didn’t knock him out, but it pinned him down.
Cal admitted that he just wanted to put his family back together. Cal revealed that Jiaying needed human lives to heal after Whitehall tore her apart. He thought he could fix her, but she had changed. She wasn’t a good person anymore. Cal asked to help Coulson save Skye. “Please let me help you,” Cal said.
15. Fitzsimmons. It took a year, but they finally acknowledged what happened in last year's finale. Simmons went to Fitz (Iain De Caestecker) right before he headed out with Coulson. “I just saw Hunter with Bobbi, and it made me realize that, well, we never really spoke about what you said to me at the bottom of the ocean,” Simmons said. She suggested that they could talk about it when they got back, but Fitz said there was nothing to discuss about his declaration of love. “Maybe there is,” she said.
11. Skye chooses a side. Picking S.H.I.E.L.D. wasn’t shocking, but Skye implied that she was willing to kill her mother. Jiaying and her people had taken over Gonzales’ ship. Jiaying brought a bunch of homemade terrigen crystals and planned to attack all of S.H.I.E.L.D. Skye told May that she was going after her mother. “I won’t hesitate,” she promised May.
12. Skye’s mother tried to kill her. Skye’s mother offered to team up and “launch a revolution, side by side.” Skye said that this was only about hate, and she couldn’t let Jiaying destroy people’s lives. Skye stroked her face and called her beautiful -- then she tried to suck the life out of her. Skye used her powers to get her mother off of her and send the ship with more terrigen crystals overboard -- sending the crystals to the bottom of the ocean.
13. Coulson’s arm. Fitz created a device that could block Gordon’s teleportation. He, Mack (Henry Simmons) and Coulson were protecting the crystals when Gordon came in. After a fight, Fitz impaled Gordon, but as he died, Gordon dropped the crystal. Coulson caught it, but his arm started to turn to stone. Mack chopped off Coulson’s arm before it could kill him.
14. Cal killed Jiaying. Cal had promised Coulson that he’d deal with his wife, and he stopped Skye from doing anything she would regret. “You don’t have to live with that pain, I will,” he told his daughter. Cal broke Jiaying’s spine. He cried as he held her dead body. Skye still had to put him away when they got back to S.H.I.E.L.D., but she promised to visit.
Skye did visit him -- at the vet’s office. She went to visit him and he didn’t know her. She introduced herself as Daisy, and he told her about pet adoption. Skye thanked Coulson for putting him through the TAHITI program and wiping his memory.
15. Ward’s team. Ward was in a bar looking at Kara’s picture. He was approached by someone who had only a small list of Hydra names. Apparently, Ward wanted to go back to the dark side. Unfortunately, there weren’t many bad guys left. “Usually a head grows back, but not this time. The organization disintegrated,” the man explained.
Ward didn’t find that acceptable and attacked the man. The other Hydra agents understood that Ward was in charge. “I’m done flying solo. I miss having a team around me,” Ward said.
16. Cliffhanger. The terrigen crystals Skye sent off with the jet landed at the bottom of the ocean, where they started disintegrating. They were in the fish and the fish were collected for fish oil supplement pills that were mass produced and on shelves in regular drugstores. People could be consuming terrigen and either dying or becoming Inhuman.
17. The other cliffhanger. Fitz finally asked out Simmons. “Dinner. Me and you. Maybe we could eat somewhere else you know? Somewhere nice,” Fitz said. He went to research restaurants, and Simmons was smiling as she worked next to the Kree stone. It suddenly opened and Simmons was sucked into the ocean of the Kree stone before it reformed as a rock -- and Simmons was nowhere to be found.
The ending gave us a mystery for Season 3, but it also hinted at the future. While Mack took his badge back, Bobbi said that she couldn’t do this anymore after her injury. May went on an actual vacation with her ex-husband Andrew (Blair Underwood). Coulson wanted Skye to put together a team of people with powers. She said they’d have to be anonymous, unlike the Avengers. Coulson agreed, but they still had to find people. With terrigen in the fish, Skye might find herself with a legion of new Inhumans soon.
“Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.” Season 3 will return in the fall. What were you most shocked by in the finale? Sound off in the comments section below!