While most “American Horror Story” fans just assumed that a fourth installment of the FX miniseries would happen, the network officially picked up season 4 on Wednesday, Nov. 6.
“Coven” isn't even halfway through season 3, but rumors and speculation regarding the next year is already beginning to fly high. So, what’s true and what’s just a rumor so far? We’re breaking down the facts for you:
1. Jessica Lange -- Actress Jessica Lange has been providing jaw-dropping performances in “American Horror Story” since season 1, and due to her contract, she’ll continue to entertain viewers in season 4.
2. More Returning Characters? -- Besides Jessica Lange, co-creator Ryan Murphy has also brought back Evan Peters, Lily Rabe and Sarah Paulson for all three seasons. It's unknown if they’ll be returning for season 4.
3. Kathy Bates & Angela Bassett -- Kathy Bates and Angela Bassett were two newcomers to “American Horror Story” this season, and Entertainment Weekly is reporting that Murphy would like them to return for season 4.
“I have approached them and they wanna do it,” he told the site.
4. Theme, Location, Title -- In the past “American Horror Story” fans had to wait until after the season ended to find out what the next theme, location and title would be. Murphy wants to change that up this season. “I always thought it would be cool to have the season end and the last image will be this is what the next season is about and you’ll get the title,” he told E! Online at the beginning of October.
5. Clues -- For the past two seasons, “American Horror Story” sprinkled clues about the next year and they’ll continue to do that with “Coven.” While Ryan Murphy is toying with two ideas for season 4, he confirmed that he’ll start putting clues in the last three episodes of season 3.
Fans have a little wait until the plot for season 4 is released, but we came up with a couple of frightening ideas of what could take place:
1. Black Widow -- There have been numerous real-life cases about women who marry men, only to have them die shortly after. Season 4 could follow a woman who has gotten away with murdering her husbands, only to meet one that turns the tables on her.
2. College -- College is an experimental time that can go horribly wrong. “American Horror Story” viewers got a peek into a frat house this season, but it would be cool to explore the terrors and initiations that go on inside a spooky fraternity/ sorority or secret society.
3. Circus -- Circus performers face dangerous stunts every day, and they have been known to go wrong. Since “American Horror Story” loves using flashbacks, it would be interesting to see the series cut to horrifying Circus events of the past -- like a trapeze or lion taming stunt gone wrong.
4. Online Murder -- We now live in a world where we're dependent on technology. Imagine “American Horror Story” tackling online dating or online bullying.
5. Beauty Queens -- “American Horror Story” could tackle a story about women who would do anything in order to get the crown -- whether it be infidelity, blackmail, murder, or more.
What would you like to see happen in season 4 of “American Horror Story”? Let us know your thoughts in the comments section.
Amanda Remling studied journalism at Monmouth University in West Long Branch, NJ.
- ‘Reign’ Season 1 Spoilers: Episode 19 Spoilers Leaked Online; What Will Happen In ‘Toy Soldiers’?
- ‘Vampire Diaries’ Star Ian Somerhalder Not Dating ‘American Idol’ Alum; Who Is Molly Swenson? [VIDEO & PHOTOS]
- ‘Vampire Diaries’ Style: Where To Buy Caroline’s Necklace From Season 5 Episode 18
- Easter 2014 TV Schedule: What To Watch On Easter Sunday; Movies Airing On April 20