A British pop singer Amy Winehouse was found dead on Saturday in her apartment in London. She was only 27 years old.
She was found dead at her new home in Camden a month after a chaotic performance in Serbia,which forced her to cancel the rest of her European tour.
Winehouse reportedly died after a binge of drugs and alcohol. She has struggled with drugs and alcohols throughout her career.
According to Magazine People's source, she was seen buying substances, believed to be cocaine, heroin, ecstasy and ketamine, just hours before her death. However, at this stage, the cause of her death remains unconfirmed.
"Inquiries continue into the circumstances of the death," said police superintendent RajKohli. "At this early stage it is being treated as unexplained and there have been no arrests in connection with the incident."
The Grammy-winning artist was also known for battling the emphysema brought on by smoking crack cocaine and cigarettes since 2008.
Her family released an emotional statement in which they said they were bereft by her early death.
"Our family has been left bereft by the loss of Amy, a wonderful daughter, sister, niece. She leaves a gaping hole in our lives," read the statement.
"We are coming together to remember her and we would appreciate some privacy and space at this terrible time," it stated.
Fans also gathered and dropped flowers and candles at the police cordon outside her house in Camden, north London, not long after her death was announced.
Winehouse was discovered by soul singer Tyler James at the age of 16 and in 2003 her debut album "Frank" was released.