Judge Christopher Floyd ruled in a London court on Wednesday that Apple’s (NASDAQ:AAPL) products do not infringe on Samsung’s Standard Essential Patents (S.E.P.), regarding the ability to send and receive information from a device over a 3G network, ZDNet has reported.
“We are disappointed by the court’s decision. Upon a thorough review of the judgment, we will decide whether to file an appeal. For decades, we have heavily invested in pioneering the development of technological innovations in the mobile industry, which have been constantly reflected in our products,” said a Samsung spokeswoman. Apple’s spokesman declined to comment.
The case is not unique. Apple has successfully defended itself from 24 SEP cases where Samsung has brought forth the same assertions, claiming Apple invalidated implemented in its 3G-capable smartphones. If Samsung won the rights, it would be entitled to a 2.4 percent royalty on all every 3G device that Apple has sold and will sell.
Samsung has only won three of these cases, two of which were in its native country of South Korea. patent expert Florian Mueller says that if Samsung keeps perpetuating these claims, the company only loses more credibility and looks more ridiculous as Apple continues to walk away with the verdict.
The wide-ranging legal battles between the two companies started in 2011 with Apple suing Samsung in the US for alleged IP infringments across the design, user interface, patents and trademarks. Since then, the legal wrangling has spread around the globe and has seen cases played out in South Korea, Japan, France, Germany, the Netherlands, Italy and the UK, reported ZDNet.
Copyright Wall St. Cheat Street. All rights reserved.