Ariel Castro's Brothers Knew Nothing: 'I Would Have Reported It, Brother Or No Brother'

 @ericbrownzzz
on May 12 2013 11:12 PM
Ariel Castro Court
Ariel Castro, arraigned on charges of kidnapping and rape last Thursday, allegedly kept his victims bound in the basement of his home in Cleveland. Reuters

The brothers of Cleveland kidnapping-and-rape suspect Ariel Castro have spoken out, saying they had no knowledge of their brother's actions and would have immediately reported him if they had.

Ariel Castro, 52, was arrested last week for the kidnapping and rape of three formerly missing women: Amanda Berry, Gina DeJesus and Michelle Knight. The women, who all went missing between 2002 and 2004, were discovered alive in Castro’s Cleveland house. Castro is facing three counts of rape and four counts of kidnapping. 

Soon after the women were discovered and Castro was arrested, his brothers Onil Castro and Pedro Castro were detained as well, on suspicion that they might also have been involved with the kidnappings. Several days later, the two were released after police determined they were not involved in the case. Neither lived in Ariel Castro’s home, and they appeared to have no knowledge of his alleged crimes.

Now, the two brothers have told CNN in an exclusive interview that they had no knowledge of their brother’s crimes. The interview will air in full on Monday, but CNN has released a preview clip showing them as they discuss their predicament. The two say that if they had had any knowledge of their brother’s actions, they would have immediately called the police.

"If I knew, I would have reported it, brother or no brother," Pedro Castro told CNN's Martin Savidge. "I couldn't never think of doing anything like that. If I knew that my brother was doing this ... I would not be, not -- in a minute, I would call the cops because that ain't right.”

In the interview, the brothers explain that their homes were vandalized by outraged neighbors, even though they had nothing to do with their brother’s alleged crimes. They say they even received death threats. Now, the two brothers and their 71-year-old mother are hiding in an undisclosed location to escape being punished for Ariel Castro's purported actions.

"[T]he people out there that know me, they know that Onil Castro is not that person and has nothing to do with that. Would never even think of something like that," Onil Castro said. "I was a very liked person, individual. I've never had any enemies. No reason for anybody to think that I would ever do something like that. It's a shock to all my friends. They couldn't believe it."

Check out the CNN interview preview below.

Share this article

More News from IBT MEDIA