Arsenal begin their season against Newcastle at St. James' Park on August 13th, and talks continue about a number of players coming and going.
According to The Times, Arsene Wenger has maintained interest in midfielder Scott Parker of West Ham. This is curious news considering Arsenal targets Juan Mata and Eden Hazard appear to be more skilled players with more resale value, and Tottenham has already given up their pursuit of Parker because they believe his price tag was too high.
"If you take into account the fee of around £8 million, signing-on fees and wages you're talking about a £30 million deal," Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp told Sunday Mirror in July. "There is no way the club would sanction a deal for a 30-year-old who would have no resale value at the end of his contract."
Tottenham and Arsenal are both still interested in Mauro Zarate of Lazio, valued at £15 million, according to Daily Mirror. The Arsenal attack could use an another forward even with the addition of Gervinho earlier this summer.
Talks of Zarate joining Arsenal are new, but Arsenal may have other attacking options, as Costa Rican forward Joel Campbell says that talks have resumed about a move to Emirates after a £1 million deal fell through last month.
"We are talking to Arsenal again," Campbell said, according to The Express. "I have not signed yet but I'm waiting to hear from my agents."
Wenger is still in search of a centre back. Phil Jagielka remains the top target, but Everton may want as much as £20 million, and that's far more than Arsenal is willing to pay. Christopher Samba and Gary Cahill continue to be potential additions, as well.
Daily Mail reports that chief scout Steve Rowley is expected to watch Birmingham's Scott Dann this weekend. The centre back is valued at about £10 million, and might be the least expensive option on the market.
The defense might already be better than last season after comments from a recent addition. If summer transfer Carl Jenkinson's talent can match his desire, then the signing of the former Charlton Athletic right back might pay immediate dividends for Arsenal this season. "I'd like to think I'm quite an ambitious person so I want to get into that starting XI and I want to stake my claim to be a first-team regular. It's up to me to work hard and impress whenever I can," the 19-year-old told the Guardian.
Nicklas Bendtner has yet to move on from Arsenal, but Stoke are set to make a club record £9 million bid for the forward, according to Daily Mail. Sporting Lisbon and Hamburg have also shown interest in Bendtner this summer.