Arsenal are all set to start their post-Samir Nasri era when they take on Udinese in the second-leg of the Champions League qualifier.
A saga which lasted the whole summer appeared ended when Arsenal accepted an offer around the region of £24 million from Manchester City. The player has completed the move after passing a medical at City on Tuesday and agreeing personal terms. He will earn a reported £185,000 per-week in wages, more than double what he earned at Arsenal.
However, before the move was completed the Daily Mail had reported that City's neighbours and fierce rivals Manchester United had been monitoring the situation for a long while with the hope of hijacking the player. According to the report, United, who are yet to find a replacement for the retired Paul Scholes after failing to capture Wesley Sneijder, was prepared to match City's offer while a payment of £2 million would have been made to the player's agent.
That, as proved, is not the case.
Elsewhere, contradicting reports have emerged regarding Arsenal's pursuit of Lille midfielder Eden Hazard.
Hazard was the Ligue 1 player of the year last season, as he played a key role in Lille's double-win in France. He is contracted at the club till 2015 and the French champions stated that they would rebuff any move for the player.
Eden will not be leaving this season. Lille general manager Frederic Paquet said, We are aware of interest from some of the biggest clubs in Europe but we are not prepared to sell.
He is very happy here, he understands our project and wants to stay for at least another year.
Hazard himself committed his future to Lille, according to talkSport.com.
Since the beginning, I have said that I will remain .One is never sure but I would say yes, I will be here next season, the report quoted Haazrd as saying.
However, according to Goal.com, a source close to the player revealed that the 20-year-old would move on if the right club comes along.
Eden has said all along that he won't leave until next year unless the right opportunity comes along. It would need to be a club who can match his ambitions but they are running out of time to get him, The source told Goal.com.
The player is rated at £26 million by Lille, who believe that they can bag at least £15 million more by selling him next season, if he has a good year. However, Arsenal are, reportedly, not willing to offer more than £20 million for the Belgian, despite having a huge transfer kitty, following the sales of Cesc Fabregas and Nasri.
Finally, Arsene Wenger is set to attempt a double-swoop of Everton player Phil Jagielka and Mikel Arteta, according to Caughtoffside.com.
With the Merseyside club in financial trouble, Wenger will look to capitalize on their needs by bidding for both Jagielka and Arteta. Arsenal have had two previous bids for Jagielka rejected, but Wenger is prepared to up his offer to £15 million. Jagielka could be the ideal man to partner Thomas Vermaelen in patching up a leaky defence while the move could help the Englishman cement a place in the national team and taste Champions League football.
Wenger also feels Arteta is the ideal stop-gap replacement for the departed Fabregas. The 29-year-old has been linked to Arsenal before, although a move never materialized. Now though, Wenger feels the player has enough Premiership experience and quality to balance a side who have been left short of experience with Fabregas' departure. Arteta offers creativity and goals in midfield - something which Arsenal has lacked - while he is also good with set pieces.
With just seven days to go before the close of the transfer window, Arsenal have to move quickly.