Japan's Nikkei share index <.N225> rises 0.7 percent as investors pick up bargains after recent price falls, but volume is low on absence of foreign buyers.
* MSCI Asia share index excluding Japan <.MIAPJ0000US> also up 0.7 percent.
* Euro trades around resistance level of $1.3175, though economists expect the currency to head toward $1.25 by the end of the year, as worries about high debt levels inside the single currency zone persist.
* Dollar little changed versus the yen at 83.64 yen. No policy change is expected at the Bank of Japan's two-day policy meeting that ends on Tuesday.
* Spot gold trades around $1,387 per ounce, slightly down from Monday's dealing, and well below the historical high of $1,430 it hit earlier in December.
* U.S. crude oil rises around 20 cents to $89.62 per barrel, supported by cold weather in Europe and the United States.
(Reporting by Daniel Magnowski; Editing by Nick Macfie)