Forex Technical Update
Double Bottom Attempt:
- AUD/USD is currently in a double bottom attempt. There is support at the 1.0670-1.0680 area. The resistance is the recently broken pivot at 1.0790. A break above 1.0790 completes a double bottom, and suggests a bullish correction to the recent sharp swing to the downside.
- The market breaks above 1.0790. look for a pullback to push no higher than 1.09, near the 61.8% retracement level seen in the 4H chart.
- The break below 1.0790 was an indication that the market is still ranging, and therefore, the range support near 1.0440 in sight.
- This fits into an expanded flat scenario, so we may anticipate a motive wave going down to 1.0440 or even lower (since it is an expanded flat).
- The 4H chart shows that this near-term bullish attempt is stemming from a test of the 200SMA.
- The next lower support is near the 1.0590 area. Below that we have the 1.0440 support. Be ready for the market to push the AUD/USD higher from this point.
- We'll have to re-evaluate at that point, but a break below eyes the 1.02-1.0250 area, the 2010-2011 high until March 2011.
- There, as we also test the 200SMA, we can expect some bullish attempt.
- Note that breaking below 1.0440, 1.04 area is already a large double top signal from the daily chart. If a pullback from the 1.02-1.0250 zone fails to break above 1.0450, we should be seeing a major topping, and reversal ahead. The parity level may be next to be tested and might not hold anymore.
Will the RBA be prompted by inflation to reconsider moving the cash rate hike earlier to this year? Subscribe and become a member to share your views and join live discussions as well as webinars about the markets.
Fan Yang CMT
Chief Technical Strategist