A Los Angeles judge rejected comedian Bill Cosby's second attempt to dismiss a sexual assault lawsuit filed against him by a Riverside, California, woman. Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Craig Karlan ruled Tuesday that the suit filed by Judy Huth, who is one of more than 50 women accusing the entertainer of sexual abuse, will proceed.
Huth said in her lawsuit, filed in December 2014, that Cosby gave her alcohol and then sexually abused her at the Playboy Mansion in 1974 when she was 15. According to Gloria Allred, Huth's lawyer, her client is seeking compensation and damages for sexual battery as well as intentional and negligent infliction of emotional distress. However, Karlan reportedly dismissed the claim of negligent infliction of emotional distress.
“In the court’s view if Mr. Cosby did what Ms. Huth alleges, then that conduct would be intentional, and therefore not negligent,” Allred said, about the court's ruling. Allred also reportedly said that she plans to depose Playboy founder Hugh Hefner in May.
Cosby's attorneys had argued that Huth's case should be dismissed for various procedural reasons, including the statute of limitations.
Also on Tuesday, a New York federal judge ruled against Cosby's demand that the publisher of New York magazine provide access to notes, video and audio tapes used in a story it published last year about 35 women who alleged they were sexually assaulted by the comedian. Of them, six women are suing the 78-year-old over separate abuse allegations.
More than 50 women have come forward accusing Cosby of drugging and sexually assaulting them over the decades. Cosby is currently facing several defamation lawsuits from some of his alleged victims. The comedian, once known as America’s favorite dad, was formally charged late last year and later released on a $1 million bail.