The 2015 Billboard Music Awards was sure to entertain fans with more than just acceptance speeches. The Las Vegas ceremony honored some of the biggest names in music on Sunday, and many of the nominated artists hit the stage to perform their biggest hits. While some acts received Twitter backlash, a few of the performances stood out from the rest. Check out eight of the best performances of the night below:
8. Tori Kelly – The singer/songwriter was not nominated for a 2015 Billboard Music Award, but she was introduced as sponsor Kia’s “One to Watch.” While it was definitely a chance to give Kia some publicity, it also showed off Kelly’s killer vocal skills. Her acoustic performance of her single “Nobody Love” definitely impressed.
7. Van Halen – Having Van Halen perform right after Taylor Swift premiered her “Bad Blood” music video was an unexpected choice, but the '80s throwback was a pleasant surprise. The group performed their 1984 hit “Panama,” and they proved that they still know how to rock.
6. Britney Spears and Iggy Azalea – The duo performed "Pretty Girls" live for the first time at the 2015 Billboard Music Awards. The performance, inspired by their '80s-themed music video, featured tons of choreography. The two pulled it off without missing a beat.
5. Little Big Town and Faith Hill – Who doesn’t love a celebrity collaboration? Country veteran Faith Hill joined the quartet to sing their controversial hit, “Girl Crush.” The group kept their performance simple and decided to skip any flashy lights or dancers. The performance delighted many audience members, including Taylor Swift, who could be seen cheering during their performance.
4. Nick Jonas – The youngest Jonas Brother has perfomed his hit single “Jealous” at many awards shows this year, including the 2015 Kids' Choice Awards, the European Music Awards and even the Academy of Country Music Awards, and we're still not sick of it. He changes up the song for every performance. This time around, Jonas played an electric guitar to give the intro a rock 'n' roll vibe.
3. Meghan Trainor and John Legend – The duo performed “Like I’m Gonna Lose You” together. Trainor’s third single is a much more emotional song than “All About That Bass,” but the ballad gave both singers a chance to show off their vocal skills.
2. Ed Sheeran – Even for awards shows, Sheeran likes to keep his routine simple: just him and a guitar. The simple approach seemed to work for the audience. As Sheeran emotionally finished the song, he had the audience on their feet and cheering.
1. Imagine Dragons – The 2015 Billboard Music Awards took a moment to pay tribute to Ben E. King. The blues singer, also known as B.B. King, died in April, and his daughter and granddaughters were in the audience to watch the show honor him. Imagine Dragons played “Stand by Me,” King’s most famous song, and the performance quickly became a singalong.
Which 2015 Billboard Music Awards performance was your favorite? Tell us in the comments section below.