Authorities are expected to release Thursday video images of two suspects carrying black bags around the two explosion sites where bombs went off near the finish line of the Boston Marathon Monday.
It’s unclear what time the images will be released, but the Boston Globe reported that authorities want to disseminate the video images to the public in an effort to apprehend the men.
The two suspects were seen on the tapes carrying black bags to the two explosion sites. They were not together in the video footage, according to the Globe.
Also on Thursday, President Barack Obama is set to attend an interfaith service in Boston at 11 a.m. EDT to pay tribute to the victims and survivors of Monday’s explosions.
The blasts killed three people: Martin Richard, 8, of Boston; Krystle Campbell, 29, of Arlington, Mass.; and Lu Lingzi of China. More than 170 others were injured.
Continue Reading Below
During a briefing Wednesday, White House Press Secretary Jay Carney described what Obama’s message would be to the country when he makes his remarks in Boston.
“It will be one of resolve. It will be one of the commonality that we feel as Americans with the people of Boston and those that were visiting Boston for the marathon ... and then demonstrated bravery in its immediate aftermath,” he said. Carney said the response to the bombings "reminds us and reminds the world who we are as a people."
The developments in the investigation came after a hectic day of inaccurate media reports that a suspect was arrested in Monday’s bombing. CNN and the Associated Press initially said there was an arrest in the Boston explosions case, with the AP going so far as to say the suspect would be brought to U.S. District Court in Boston Wednesday. Those reports proved to be mistaken.
The FBI was scheduled to hold a news conference at 5 p.m. Wednesday, but a bomb threat sent to Boston federal court scuttled those plans.
The bureau has not said what time Thursday it would update the public on its investigation.