Belgian prosecutors, on Saturday, charged three men with terror offenses over the suicide attacks on the Brussels airport and the subway Tuesday. The announcement came at a news conference where officials reportedly confirmed that 24 of the 31 people killed in the attacks Tuesday had been identified.
Prosecutors also said that a man arrested Thursday, named Faycal C, has been reportedly charged with “involvement in a terrorist group, terrorist murder and attempted terrorist murder.” Belgian media has identified the man as Faycal Cheffou, and said that he was known to the police for trying to rally asylum-seekers and homeless people to radical Islam.
No arms or explosives were found after a police raid at his house, according to Belgian authorities.
Two other suspects detained on Thursday and identified as Raba N. and Aboubakar A. were charged with “involvement in the activities of a terrorist group,” the Associated Press reported.
The suicide bombings earlier this week left 270 wounded, with 93 being treated at a Brussels military hospital.
With tensions across the country running high, Belgium's interior minister appealed to residents of Brussels Saturday not to conduct a solidarity march Sunday as security services were stretched thin across the country. Organizers quickly granted his request, postponing the march.
Meanwhile, at the Brussels airport, officials are still trying to assess the damage caused by the twin explosions at the Zaventem airport departure terminal. Airport authorities had said that the flights are unlikely to be resumed until Tuesday.