Caitlyn Jenner is officially off the hook for vehicular manslaughter after being involved in a car accident in February. The crash left one motorist, Kim Howe, dead after being rear-ended by Jenner, 65. It was previously reported that the "I Am Cait" star may be looking at jail time following the incident, however, the L.A. County District Attorney has reviewed the case and it looks like Jenner, 65, is home free.
According to the Huffington Post, the D.A. reviewed a report from the L.A. County Sheriff's Department which claimed that the former Olympian's actions at the time of the accident were not "unreasonable." The D.A. apparently agreed, dropping the misdemeanor vehicular manslaughter charges, and all others, being brought against her. It has been officially determined that Jenner was not speeding at the time of the accident, but was traveling at a higher speed than she should have been given the road conditions. Still, she is not being held responsible for Howe's death.
— BuzzFeed News (@BuzzFeedNews) September 30, 2015
Jenner's lawyer, Blair Berk, told TMZ she knew from the start that her client was not guilty. She said she and her team were pleased with the ruling. Berk acknowledged that the accident was "heartbreaking," but maintained that it never should have escalated to this point.
"A traffic incident, however devastating and heartbreaking when a life is lost, is not necessarily a criminal matter," Berk said.
The accident occurred in February when Jenner was driving on the Pacific Coast Highway when she rear-ended two cars, including Howe's Lexus. The impact caused her vehicle to veer into oncoming traffic, where it was struck by a Hummer. Howe was pronounced dead on the scene. Jenner was uninjured. It was initially believed that the "I Am Cait" star was either speeding or texting when the accident occurred. It has since been proven that she was doing neither.
Jenner has addressed the ruling at this time.