Canadian Thanksgiving is around the corner – and while it’s important to give thanks for abundance, there is definitely room for laughter and humor.
The holiday is Monday and If you’re planning on attending a Canadian Thanksgiving this year, it could be good to have some great Canadian quotes on-hand to deliver at the dinner table.
We selected 20 Canadian quotes – courtesy of The Fresh Quotes and Brainy Quote -- to get you into high, patriotic spirits for the holiday. From the clever to the cheeky, attempt to impress your Canadian dinner guests with these 20 Canadian quotes.
- “A Canadian is someone who knows how to make love in a canoe.” – Pierre Berton
- “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity.” – Marshall McLuhan
- “It’s never felt more Canadian to be Canadian than it does now.” – Douglas Coupland
- “Canada is like an old cow. The West feeds it. Ontario and Quebec milk it. And you can well imagine what it’s doing in the Maritimes.” – Tommy Douglas
- “Let us be French, let us be English, but most importantly let us be Canadian!” – John A. Macdonald
- “I love Thanksgiving. In Canada, we don’t really have a lot of history with Thanksgiving, and it’s a holiday devoted to food, and that warms the cockles of my being.” – Mackenzie Davis
- “We’ll explain the appeal of curling to you if you explain the appeal of the National Rifle Association to us.” – Andy Barrie
- “My dream is for people around the world to look up and to see Canada like a jewel sitting at the top of the continent.” – Tommy Douglas
- “Canada is like a loft apartment over a really great party. Like: “Keep it down, eh?” – Robin Williams
- “I grew up on the edge of a national park in Canada – Timberwolves, creeks, snow drifts. I really did have to walk home six miles through the snow, like your grandparents used to complain.” – Dan Aykroyd
- “Americans are benevolently ignorant about Canada, while Canadians are malevolently well informed about the United States.” – J. Bartlet Brebner
- “I see Canada as a country torn between a very northern, rather extraordinary, mystical spirit which it fears and its desire to present itself to the world as a Scotch banker.” – Robertson Davies
- “It’s going to be a great country when they finish unpacking it.” Andrew H. Malcom
- “I’m from Canada, so Thanksgiving to me is just Thursday with more food. And I’m thankful for that.” – Howie Mandel
- “Hysterically funny, amazingly talented people. That’s what I think of when I think of Canada. That, and cold beer. And mountains.” – Richard Patrick
- “For those who aspire to live in a high cost, high tax, big government place, our nation and the world offers plenty of options. Vermont, Canada and Venezuela all offer you the opportunity to live in the socialist, big government paradise you long for.” – Marco Rubio
- “Canadian nationalism is a subtle, easily misunderstood but powerful reality, expressed in a way that is not too state directed – something like a beer commercial or the death of a significant Canadian figure.” – Paul Kopas
- “One thing I would like to see in Vancouver and Canada is something similar to the PayPal mafia. They were all early employees of PayPal. They all had monster exits with PayPal, and they were able to take their winnings and form a syndicate that co-invests.” – Ryan Holmes
- “There are few, if any, Canadian men that have never spelled their name in a snow bank.” – Douglas Coupland
- “Canadians have been so busy explaining to Americans that we aren’t British, and to the British that we aren’t Americans that we haven’t had time to become Canadians.” – Helen Gordon McPherson