Chelsea boss José Mourinho has denied that he is lining up a transfer for Roma center-back Mehdi Benatia. Reports this week have claimed that Chelsea were preparing a £30 million bid for the Morocco international, who had an outstanding first season at Roma in helping them to second place in Serie A. The Blues, after already spending big to sign Diego Costa, Cesc Fabregas, Filipe Luis as well as brining in club legend Didier Drogba in on a free transfer, have been frequently linked with moves for center-backs since David Luiz was sold to Paris Saint-Germain. But, having welcomed 19-year-old Kurt Zouma following his signing in January and with the emergence of 18-year-old Dane Andreas Christensen, Mourinho has said that he has enough options for the coming season.
“We’re not interested,” he said, according to Eurosport. “We have [Gary] Cahill, [Branislav] Ivanovic and Zouma. We also want to integrate Christensen into the first team with calm, who will train with us and also play some minutes in the League when it is possible. He will normally play with the youth team, but he will train with the first team. I think we are fine as we are, we are well set in defense.”
While Mourinho appears satisfied at the back, in recent days there has been speculation that he is rethinking the adequacy of his options up front. Despite Romelu Lukaku and Demba Ba departing this summer, to return of Drogba to join Costa and Fernando Torres, appeared to give Chelsea sufficient numbers in the striking department. Yet a recent injury to the 36-year-old Drogba has prompted suggestions that he will look to bring someone in before the close of the transfer window.
Long-standing links with Paris Saint-Germain’s Edinson Cavani have resurfaced, with the Daily Star among the outlets claiming that Chelsea maintain an interest in the Uruguayan. Cavani voiced his dissention at being forced to play out wide for much of his first season in the French capital following a £55 million transfer from Napoli. The fact that PSG are now looking to improve their Financial Fair Play status by offloading players in order that they can bring in Real Madrid’s Ángel di María has furthered rumors that Cavani’s short stay could be coming to an end.
Yet, even if he were to depart, there appears little prospect of his next destination being Stamford Bridge. Having spent more than £30 million on Costa, there is little possibility of the Spain international being usurped by Cavani’s arrival.
Continue Reading Below
Cavani is not the only forward to have been linked with Chelsea of late. Going big with the “Exclusive” tag, Goal.com reports that Chelsea have made an inquiry for Queens Park Rangers’ Loïc Rémy. The France international scored 14 Premier League goals on loan at Newcastle United last season and had been widely expected to join a Champions-League-caliber side this summer.
Yet a deal to Liverpool broke down last month, reportedly after Rémy failed a medical -- a claim denied by QPR. The former Marseille man could certainly be a useful squad member for Chelsea, particularly as he can also play out wide. However, the idea that Chelsea will sign a player on a long-term deal in response to an injury to Drogba that may not even keep him out of the first game of the Premier League season against Burnley next Monday appears somewhat farfetched.