Hulk has revealed that Chelsea have expressed an interest in signing him from Zenit St Petersburg this summer. The Daily Mirror has reported that new Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho has instructed the club to make a £35 million offer for the Brazilian forward this summer. Chelsea attempted to sign the former Porto man last year before being outbid by Zenit’s massive £50 million offer, Yet, Hulk has always spoken in effusive terms about a move to the Premier League and believes he may get his wish this time around.

"If I said there was not anything in it, I would be lying,” he said of recent speculation, according to Brazilian publication Globo Esporte. "But that is not for now. I am 100 per cent focused on the national team at the moment.”

Hulk has encountered difficulties since moving to Russia both on and off the pitch and Zenit could be tempted to offload the 26-year-old even for a loss. After missing out on Hulk, Chelsea went out and signed Victor Moses last August and there will be doubts as to whether Chelsea need another wide forward. That is particularly true given that Andre Schurrle, although he generally plays on the opposite flank to Hulk, is set to arrive.

It appears that Chelsea’s protracted deal for the Bayer Leverkusen player is finally set to be completed. At a farewell game for former Chelsea and Leverkusen star Michael Ballack on Wednesday, Mourinho managed a World XI featuring Schurrle while Leverkusen sporting director Rudi Voller took charge of a Ballack and Friends team. And the Cologne Express has reported that the seal has finally been put on a saga that dates back to last summer.

Joachim Schurrle, father of the Germany international certainly appeared to be under that belief. “I expect that my son will now play the upcoming season with Chelsea,” he said.

Even if Schurrle arrives, Mourinho will likely still be chasing a leading striker to add to his squad. Spanish publication Marca now claims that Gonzalo Higuain is on the list of targets. The Real Madrid striker has revealed that he wants to leave the Bernabeu this close season and Juventus and Arsenal are thought to be strongly pursuing his signature. Indeed, there have been reports that the Italian champions have already had a €22 million (£18.7m) offer rejected.

Yet, there must be some skepticism toward the idea of Mourinho reuniting with his former charge at Stamford Bridge. Mourinho ended his term at Madrid having fallen out with virtually the entire playing squad. And the player’s father has said that the lack of support Higuain received from individuals at Madrid during his time at the club is the major reason why he now wants to leave.

In other news, Chelsea are heading a very large pack of clubs chasing young Partizan Belgrade wide forward Lazar Markovic, according to the Daily Mirror. Now 19, Markovic made his debut for Serbia when he was still aged 17. And the player has revealed that he believes he is already cut out for the Premier League.

“A lot of people say that maybe I’m not suited to the English league," he said. “But I can tell you that I love the Premier League and I see it as an ideal stage for me.”

Follow Jason Le Miere on Twitter