They may have already spent in excess of £80 million in strengthening their squad this summer, but Chelsea could still be involved in the closing days of the transfer window.

Last week, deals for Victor Moses and Cesar Azpilicueta were confirmed to add to the purchases of Eden Hazard, Oscar and Marko Marin. Yet, despite the Blues taking a maximum nine points from their first three games, the possibility remains of further reinforcements being signed.

Hulk has been trailed for much of the summer, but Chelsea have so far been frustrated by Porto's high asking price for the 26-year-old. According to Portuguese publication Record, however, the player's future remains very much in the balance.

"Everything will be decided before [August] 31," Porto press secretary Ahaz Fellegger is claimed to have said. Hulk has told his agent, Teodoro Fonseca, that he wants everything cleared up between Tuesday and Wednesday, so that's what we want to see happen."

Hulk has also been linked with both Tottenham and Zenit St Petersburg in recent times.

Given the signing of Moses, a deal for Hulk would be surprising with both players flourishing as a right-sided forward. However, the Brazilian may also be seen as another option up front, given that there are currently just two established strikers at Stamford Bridge-Fernando Torres and Daniel Sturridge.

It now appears highly unlikely that Chelsea will acquire the man believed to be their top striking target this summer, Edinson Cavani. Speculation has linked Chelsea to a move for the Napoli hit man for much of the summer as they seek a replacement for the departed Didier Drogba. According to the latest reports in Italy, though, Cavani is poised to sign a new contract with the Italian side.

La Gazzetta dello Sport claims that an agreement is close between the two parties with Cavani due to sign an extension until 2016 featuring a buy-out clause of €55 million (£43.6m).

Despite their paucity of options in a central striking role, speculation has also continued linking Sturridge with a move away from Stamford Bridge. According to the Daily Mail, Liverpool are set to make a move for the England forward should Andy Carroll be sold before the close of the transfer window.

While Sturridge has mainly deployed as a wide forward during his time at Stamford Bridge, he has stated a desire to play as a central striker and could get his chance given that he currently provides the only cover for Torres.

A player more likely to exit the club in the coming days is French midfielder Florent Malouda. The 32-year-old looks unlikely in Di Matteo's first-team plans this season and has yet to feature for the club at the start of the campaign.

According to the Daily Mirror, the France international will be allowed to leave for a minimal fee should a club be willing to match his £70,000-a-week wage demands.

Malouda, who joined Chelsea from Lyon in 2007, is said to have attracted interest from both France and Brazil.