With Jose Mourinho’s arrival to lead Chelsea for a second time appearing increasingly imminent, speculation is going into overdrive as to who the current Real Madrid boss will bring with him during what is set to be an eventful summer at Stamford Bridge. There are even reports that the star of the Bernabeu could be following Mourinho to west London.
According to the Daily Mail, Cristiano Ronaldo is on a list of names that Mourinho is putting together of signings that he wants the club to secure in the close season. The Portugal forward suggested that he was unhappy at the club earlier in the campaign and has yet to sign an extension to his current contract, which is set to expire in 2015. Thus far, Ronaldo has only said that he intends to see out his deal, although Madrid would want the 28-year-old to sign a new contract this summer to avoid his value decreasing.
Both Paris Saint-Germain and Manchester United have been strongly linked to a move and it is believed that Ronaldo would prefer a return to Old Trafford. That desire may not be as strong, however, following the departure of manager Sir Alex Ferguson. Chelsea are also likely to be able to offer more money than United. Still, a deal still appears unlikely at this stage, particularly given Mourinho’s reported fractious relationship with much of his current squad, including Ronaldo.
There may be more substance behind stories of Chelsea’s interest in Ronaldo’s former forward partner at Manchester United, Wayne Rooney. The England international asked to leave Old Trafford for a second time in three years in recent weeks and it remains to be seen how the club’s new manager David Moyes will resolve the situation.
The Sunday Mirror has reported that Chelsea have told United to “name their price” for Rooney. The paper claims sources close to Chelsea have intimated that the Blues are prepared to spend in excess of £30 million for the 27-year-old in addition to matching his reported £250,000-a-week wages. Paris Saint-Germain and Bayern Munich are among the clubs to be credited with an interest in Rooney, although he is said to prefer remaining in England.
Also wanted by Mourinho, reports the Daily Mail, is Napoli striker Edinson Cavani. The Uruguay international is thought to have been the subject of strong interest from both Chelsea and Manchester City last summer. Napoli president Aurelio de Laurentiis later revealed that he rejected a massive €55 million (£46m) for Cavani before inserting a buyout clause of €63 million (£53m) in his new contract.
The 26-year-old has scored a stunning 29 Serie A goals this season and interest in him is unlikely to have been diminished. The chances of the former Palermo man leaving may have been increased with the resignation of Napoli manager Walter Mazzarri following the final day of the league season on Sunday.
There has yet to be any resolution over the hitch in what is still expected to be Chelsea’s first signing of the summer -- Andre Schurrle. A £20 million agreement for the Bayer Leverkusen forward is reported to be in place but Kevin de Bruyne -- who was originally set to move on a season-long loan in the other direction -- now looks set to join Borussia Dortmund on a permanent transfer.
Leverkusen sporting director Rudi Voller has again asserted that a deal for Schurrle will not go through until they secure a replacement.
"Let's all stay cool,” he said, according to Sky Sports. “We said it is only possible, if we find a proper alternative."
Schurrle, though, has suggested that he still expects to move to Stamford Bridge.
"I hope they will keep these promises,” he revealed. “It also depends on Leverkusen. I think it was my last match."