Depending on whom you ask, Chelsea may be close to acquiring Roma forward and top scorer Mattia Destro. Other than Diego Costa, boss Jose Mourinho’s attack is a little thin at striker, with Fernando Torres struggling to find his form and Didier Drogba, 36, well past his prime. Though the Blues looked strong in their 3-1 debut victory over Burnley to start Premier League, Mourinho knows he will need more scoring options when the likes of Liverpool, Manchester City and Arsenal make their respective trips to Stamford Bridge, to say nothing of Champions League.
Reports surfaced earlier this week that Chelsea were warming to the idea of swapping Torres for Destro, but the latter’s agent said Thursday the Serie A club was not interested in parting with the budding 23-year-old.
"It's true that Chelsea are interested in Mattia," Renzo Contratto said according to The Telegraph. "But the reports regarding a swap deal have no foundation, it's all speculation.
"Roma don't want to sell Mattia and Mattia prefers to remain at Roma."
Perhaps hoping to avoid any sort of row between his client and his current club, Contratto tried to curb any more of the speculation. However, it was only earlier this week that AC Milan vehemently denied any talks with Liverpool regarding striker Mario Balotelli. A day later Balotelli was sold for £16 million and bound for Merseyside.
With deft midfielders Cesc Fabregas, Willian and Oscar acting as facilitators, Destro and Costa could be a devastating duo of finishers. Though he’s not an especially gifted passer, Destro would also add extra spice to Chelsea’s counter attack measures.
Mourinho also has some plans to bolster his wings. Already possessing Eden Hazard and Mohamed Salah, the Blues could add even more depth in the form of Paris Saint-Germain winger Ezequiel Lavezzi. Daily Star reports the 29-year-old’s contract talks with the French side have broken down.
After breaking the Financial Fair Play rules, PSG are now hoping to move several players, even if they are top contributors like Lavezzi. The Argentine has made 60 appearances and scored 12 goals in all competitions during his two year stay at Parc des Princes.
There is no question Lavezzi can contribute immediately for the Blues, but the Star pointed out they are already carrying too many foreign players at the moment. Thus Mourinho might have to make several moves in order to acquire Destro and or Lavezzi.
Lastly, Petr Cech’s days at Stamford Bridge could be numbered. The 32-year-old Blues legend has been snubbed for new No. 1 keeper Thibaut Courtois, and now Monaco are putting together a £10 million deal for his services, according to Daily Mirror. Courtois started against Burnley, only Mourinho reportedly failed to notify Cech of his decision.
Still well in the heart of his prime, Cech has indicated he’s not open to a prolonged stay on the bench. Monaco, as well as PSG, should offer him plenty of first-team time.