Despite reports claiming that Chelsea's pursuit of Brazilian starlet Oscar had run into problems, Sky Sports are now claiming that the Blues have agreed a £25 million deal with Internacional. Having jumped ahead of Tottenham in the race to sign the 20-year-old attacking midfielder, Chelsea reportedly saw their £20 million offer rejected last week.
But now, as Oscar jets into the United Kingdom with the Brazilian squad to take part in the Olympics, it appears that the Blues have all-but secured their man.
Internacional president Giovanni Luigi earlier claimed that the player was there for the taking should Chelsea come back with an improved bid.
I'm waiting for another Chelsea offer this Tuesday, he said, according to Sky Sports. Their offer last Friday didn't match our expectations. Oscar won't leave Internacional for less than 20m Euros, thus they know what they have to offer.
Chelsea's massive summer of spending could continue as Roberto Di Matteo seeks a replacement for departed Champions League hero Didier Drogba. The club has been linked with the likes of Radamel Falcao, Gonzalo Higuain and Robert Lewandowski this summer but it would appear that it is Napoli's Edinson Cavani who is currently at the head of their list of targets.
The Daily Mail reports that Chelsea will hold talks with the Uruguayan's representatives this week. Although Napoli have stated publicly that their star front man will be staying put this summer, the Mail claims that he will be available for £35 million. A deal may still be some way off, with Cavani reportedly seeking a weekly wage of £150,000 to put him on a par with Chelsea's top earners like John Terry, Frank Lampard and Fernando Torres.
Chelsea may be set to miss out on the signing of Bayer Leverkusen's Andre Schurrle this summer. The Blues had a bid of £16 million rejected for the Germany international, while reports suggested that they then followed that up with an offer approaching £20 million.
Yet, Leverkusen director Wolfgang Holzhauser now claims that negotiations are now over.
The players on the market are too expensive, and we would have replaced him with a worse player who is overpriced, he said, according to Goal.com.
There is no alternative to our decision because we would not be able to get an adequate replacement. I have also discussed this with Andre.
The offer was worth 20-plus million euros. We do not want to talk anymore.
Having splashed out £32 million this summer for Eden Hazard, Chelsea may be set to move for the Belgium international's brother Thorgan. L'Equipe claims that the 19-year-old midfielder has told his club Lens that he wishes to move to Stamford Bridge, leaving the clubs to agree terms.
Thorgan made his breakthrough for Lens last season as they finished in mid-table in Ligue 2. Both he and his elder brother play as attacking midfielders, although Eden has described Thorgan as the better player. Whether that is true or Eden is just being a supportive older brother, Chelsea may be about to find out.