Despite Tottenham making it clear in no uncertain terms that their creative midfielder, Luka Modric, is not for sale, Chelsea will attempt a second bid, by using Michael Essien in a cash-plus-player deal, at bringing the Croatian to the Bridge.
Modric himself has stated that he wants to leave Spurs and went to the extent of pointing out Chelsea has his preferred destination. However, having a £22million bid rejected for the player, the Metro reports that the Blues will attempt to capture the 25-year-old by offering Ghanaian powerhouse Michael Essien in return.
Essien, whose early years at Chelsea made him a fans-favorite, has failed to recapture the form after a couple of season with niggling injury problems. His quality is in no doubt, but even if Essien is offered the other way, Spurs will play hardball and reject the offer.
Spurs chairman Daniel Levy made it clear when he said in a statement, 'I wish to make it absolutely clear, as I have said previously, that none of our key players will be sold this summer.
We are building a team for the future to consistently play at the highest level and retaining quality players is crucial to that. In respect of Luka Modric, we are not prepared to sell, at any price, to Chelsea Football Club or any other club.
We made our stance on this issue abundantly clear in writing to Chelsea. They chose to ignore it and then subsequently made the offer public.
For the avoidance of any doubt, let me reiterate that we shall not enter into any negotiations whatsoever, with any club, regarding Luka.
We now consider this matter closed.
Chelsea are also looking for a winger and as former sporting director, Frank Arnesen, who is now at German side Hamburg, raiding the club's youngsters - with Jeffrey Bruma, Gokhan Tore, Jacopo Sala and Michael Mancienne - all making the move to Germany, the Blues are reportedly seeking a retaliatory raid, eyeing unsettled winger Elijero Elia.
The 24-year-old had also been linked with Liverpool, but since the Reds captured Jordan Henderson, manager Kenny Dalglish's interest in him is said to have faded.
Chelsea are in need of a winger, and Elia's ability to play on both flanks make him a possible candidate for the Blues.
Elsewhere, the Daily Mirror reports that Barcelona have offered their star striker - David Villa - to Chelsea and Manchester City for £40m in order to generate enough cash for a triple coup of Cesc Fabregas, Alexis Sanchez and Giuseppe Rossi.
With Bara restricted to a transfer budget of £40m, due to debts amounting to £350m, the European champions are forced to sell-to-buy. If Chelsea lands Villa, he would team up with his national team strike partner - Fernando Torres - in what could be a devastating partnership.
Finally, the Daily Star has reported that Chelsea have made a stunning bid of £50miIlion for Atletico Madrid striker Sergio Aguero, who was poised for a move to Juventus. The dramatic move came after Atletico coach Gregorio Manzano warned Manchester City - another club interested in the Argentina striker - to make an offer or risk having his £45m release clause triggered as it comes into effect after July 4, when the club starts pre-season.