- Prime Minister Tony Abbott said that the decision to send troops followed a request from the United States in the last 24 hours.
- Australia is committed to finding MH370, the missing Malaysia Airlines flight, despite attention having shifted to MH17.
Australian Man With Inch-Long Cockroach In Ear Visits Hospital After Attempting To Remove Stubborn Insect With Vacuum CleanerAn Australian man woke up with a sudden onset of ear pain only to discover that a cockroach had lodged itself in his ear canal.
What Is Light Warlpiri? Carmel O’Shannessy Discovers New Australian Language Spoken Only By ChildrenA University of Michigan linguist discovered a new language invented and spoken by children in a remote Australian village.
- President Barack Obama and Australian Prime Minister Julia Gillard Wednesday unveiled plans for a deepening of the U.S. military presence in the Asia-Pacific, starting with thousands of U.S. Marines operating out of a de facto military base in the Australian port of Darwin.
- Australia is in for round 2 of the menacing Chilean ash cloud. Thousands of air passengers will be left stranded as flights to and from South Australia are cancelled due to volcanic ash from Chile’s Puyehue volcano again this week.
- According to recent study released, Indigenous children from the central Australia experience the highest rate of the potentially lethal severe pneumonia in the world.
- Minemakers is planning an initial 1 million tonnes a year from its A$100 million phosphate project in Australia's Northern Territory, rising to 3 million tonnes - and more if a rail link to Darwin constructed.