What Are Expanding Bullets? ‘Dum-Dums’ Used By Oscar Pistorius To Shoot Reeva Steenkamp Cause More Damage Than Regular BulletsDetails about the weapon and ammunition used by Oscar Pistorius to shoot model Reeva Steenkamp have surfaced during the Oscar Pistorius murder trial, including that the bullets he fired were a type of expanding bullet that is especially damaging to body tissue.
- Uranium seized by South Africa earlier this month raises concerns of a possible illegal trade in nuclear materials.
- Nyaope has become an integral part of many township-dwellers’ daily lives.
- An accident in Pinetown, South Africa, has left 27 dead and dozens injured after a truck driver plowed through a busy intersection.
- In China's shadow, India -- the other emerging Asian superpower -- is making moves in Africa.
- South Africa, which has an Indian community some 1.2 million strong, is a growing market for Bollywood films.
- President Putin ordered massive military drills at 4 a.m. Moscow time in the Black Sea on Thursday, sending a signal to the West that Russia's not going anywhere.
- Gold is slightly lower in most major currencies this morning but is higher in euros and Swiss francs. Gold appears to be consolidating near the $1,600/oz level and worries about the euro zone's fiscal health are supporting prices as is the EU’s unprecedented expropriation of bank deposits in Cyprus. There are hopes that Cyprus will complete capital control measures today to prevent a run on the banks by rightfully nervous depositors.
- Coetzee ran his squad of killers from a farm called Vlakplaas outside Pretoria during 1980 and 1981.
- Moonoo is a member of South Africa's small, but vibrant, Indian community, which makes up about 2.5 percent of the population.
- The African Cup of Nations has reached the crucial stage, it has been one full of surprise, firstly Cape Verde –a country of 500,000 in population, qualified for the knockout stage in the country’s first ever appearance, secondly seven of the qualifying countries are from the West Africa Sub region, thirdly all the North African teams were eliminated in the first round. The most interest aspect is how unpredictable the games have turned out to be. Some of the favourites are in the next stage, while some could not make the cut. Zambia the defending champions drew all her games - the first time a defending champion would be eliminated in the first round since 1992. The North African teams use to be the power house of football in the 80’s through to the 90’s. More so in recent times Egypt won the African Cup of Nations back to back from 2006 to 2010. The Ivory Coast have the best collection of stars in the country’s history are definite favourites to win the trophy, they have been...
- The prestigious California-based Pacific Institute climate research group has launched an investigation of its president and founder, Peter Gleick, after he admitted fraudulently obtaining documents from global warming skeptics challenging his work.
- Canada has announced its intention to withdraw from the Kyoto treaty on greenhouse gas emissions (GGE), sandbagging the other signatories to the convention. The Kyoto protocol, initially adopted in Kyoto, Japan in 1997, was designed to combat global warming with the agreement allowing countries like China and India take voluntary, but non-binding steps to reduce their greenhouse gas carbon emissions.