- The world-renowned financial manager has left the firm he co-founded to return his focus to fixed income markets and investing.
- Assistant Secretary of State Nisha Biswal said the WTO agreement to ease worldwide customs rules would "certainly" be a topic for conversation.
- An ally in the U.S.-led NATO military alliance, Turkey is the only Muslim nation in a "core coalition" of 10 countries committed to battle IS militants in Iraq.
- Officials say Sharrieff Rasheem De'Johnette mailed inmates both heroin and marijuana as part of a drug ring.
- New Year's Eve celebrations may leave some revelers too intoxicated to drive home safely. Fortunately, individual AAA clubs are offering "Tipsy Tow" Holiday Safe Ride services to get partygoers home safe -- for free.
- Wi-Fi could help us see through walls; the only known wild American jaguar is photographed.
- Altria, the largest tobacco company in the country, has announced plans to expand into the emerging e-cigarette market, suggesting that e-cigarettes are here to stay.
American ‘Downton Abbey’ Located In Rhode Island: Mansions Of Rhode Island Now A Tourist DestinationThe British were hardly the only ones to live on large estates and have servants in the early years of the last century. And because of the enormous popularity of PBS' “Downton Abbey,” mansions in Newport, R.I., have become tourist destinations for people wishing to get a glimpse not only of the lives of the rich but also of the lives of their servants.
- The world's biggest consumer of gold is battling a record high current account deficit. Rather than tackling the root cause of the problem, bankers are again tackling the symptom which is demand for gold. However, the anti gold stance and attempts to curb gold demand in India by the government is leading to some 25%of gold flows into India coming from irregular channels. A warning for anti gold and anti free market governments everywhere.
- Algerian forces have responded to a hostage crisis with fierce independence, and their motives for doing so are murky.
Justin Bieber Alleged Drug Photos: Singer Says He’s ‘Trying To Be Better’ Amid Selena Gomez Split RumorsJustin Bieber tells fans he's 'trying to be better' amid drug controversy.
- Interplay game developers are attempting to raise the money through crowd-funding website Kickstarter.com in order to develop a sequel to the role playing game (PRG) classic, Wasteland (1988) which told the story of a small party of ex-US soldiers travelling across a post-nuclear apocalyptic American southwest. According to lead developer Brian Fargo, this may be their best (and last) hope at resurrecting the iconic computer game.
- One Newport resident claims Bill Murray was rude to fans during filming
- Louise White, an 81 year old from Rhode Island, claimed the $336 million Powerball jackpot from last month. The 81 year old is a regular lottery player and she bought the winning ticket at a Stop & Shop supermarket in Newport. The $336.4 million is the third largest Powerball lottery in the history of the game.