The line-up for Coachella 2012 was announced Monday night and the headliners are sure to please the most diehard of music fans. The Black Keys, Radiohead, and Dr. Dre with Snoop Dogg. Jimmy Cliff, Arctic Monkeys, David Guetta, the Shins, Florence and the Machine, and At The Drive-In will all perform at the 2012 Coachella Music Festival, to be held in Indio, Calif. from April 13-15 and April 20-22.
For those who have never heard of Coachella, it is best described as Woodstock for Generation Y. Music aficionados from around the world gather in California for two weekends of nonstop music. Not only does Coachella attract some of the coolest rock, indie, hip-hop and house artists, but it also attracts some daring fashionistas. Hollywood A-listers even make the trip to the desert. Kate Bosworth, Drew Barrymore, Alexa Chung, Alessandra Ambrosio, Kelly Osbourne and Nicole Richie are all regulars.
If you are going to Coachella this year, here are some popular fashion trends you might want to try.
- Cut-Off Denim Shorts: Cut-off denim shorts can get a little dirty, which makes them the perfect option for an outdoor music festival. For a sorbet-colored pair, buy Christopher Kane for J Brand at mytheresa.com for $295.
- Face/Body Paint: Coachella attendees use face/body paint to decorate themselves with flowers, stripes and everything in between. You can buy neon face paint sticks at a variety of stores. Amazon sells a pack for just $4.99 by US Toy.
Continue Reading Below
- Braids: Plaits are perfect for warm weather to keep your locks from dragging you down. Learn how to do a fishtail braid by watching FoxyLockExtension's simple YouTube tutorial.
- Gladiator Sandals: Gladiator sandals will keep you cool but still looking stylish. The KORS Michael Kors jersey gladiator sandal comes with some edgy gold hardware.
- Floral Prints: Floral prints are summery and very 1960s-chic. TopShop embraces its botanist side with a medley of botanical blossoms on backpacks, dresses, leggings and bikinis.
- Tie-Dye: This one might be a bit obvious, but is still a necessity. Try a tie-dye romper like the black and white one from Rampage. Or make your own with an at-home kit.
- Feathers: Feathered clothing might be hard to come by, so opt for feathered jewelry like earrings and necklaces. Deepa Gurani makes a stunning feather collar necklace if you are looking to make a statement.
- Fringe: Fringe looks great on clothing and crossbody bags. Maison Martin Margiela has a fierce black brassier top with black fringing from chest to hip. It just screams Coachella.
- Pussy-Bow Blouses: If you err more on the demure side, a pussy-bow blouse is your go-to option for Coachella. Olivia Palermo does a pussy-bow blouse best. This favorite fashionista rocked the look at New York Fashion Week 2011. Take a cue from Palermo and make your a bit haphazard.
- Bathing Suits: Bathing suits are a must-have as the weather will surely be welcoming. One-pieces will give you that retro vibe. Modcloth.com has an array of one-piece suits in flirty styles.
- Polka Dots: Polka dots were strewn across the Spring 2012 runways. This is a great option for Coachella 2012, too. Marc Jacobs' polka dot shorts are decidedly adorable. Buy a pair at netaporter.com for $230.
- Vests: Vests can go over any outfit -- a T-shirt, a dress or even a bathing suit. Citizens of Humanity's Laustan vest in lasso is casual cool.
- Crossbody Bags: Hands-free is the way to go at any music fete. Luck Brand's macramé fringe crossbody is beautifully woven. Buy at luckybrand.com for $149.
- Printed T-Shirts: Instead of the typical concert tee, try one with a comic book character or a geometric design. Collective + Bob Carlos Clarke has a collection of stunning screen printed tees sold at farfetch.com.
- Head Scarves: Tie up your hair with a printed head scarf for the day. The Susan Daniels pink Greek print head scarf comes in a bold pattern and costs just $40 at bluefly.com.
- Hippie Headbands: Hippie headbands come in some concert-ready fabrics these days, like sequins and metallic. If you really want to show off your inner 60s-goddess you will try a band of flowers. The Sadie suede headband by Free People is a subtle nod to flower power and costs just $24.
- Maxi Skirts: Maxi skirts are comfy and light enough for optimal movement. Torn by Ronny Kobo Jayla maxi skirt is made of a lightweight jersey fabric and features an eye-popping orange streak print.
- Cropped Tanks: What better way to beat the heat than with a cropped tank? Try a neon color for that extra pop. For the coziest tanks, go to the Comfort King, C&C California.
- Round Lennon Sunglasses: These shades are all the rage this season. Think Lady Gaga or Mary-Kate Olsen. The Row's Round Lennon glasses sell for $400 at Barneys and will be a classic addition to your wardrobe.
- Sun Hats: Sun hats are the perfect accessory, a la Ali MacGraw. The San Diego Hat Company makes some fun toppers in rainbow prints, on sale now at 6pm.com.
Check out some of the best (and most unique) Coachella fashions from years' past. Click here for the full lineup and ticket information.