- NY Lawmakers Propose Studying Health Impact Of Fracking
March 13 2012 11:23 AM
The Assembly, the state legislature's lower house, allocated $100,000 to study the effects on public health of the controversial practice of horizontal hydraulic fracturing, or fracking, in which millions of gallons of water and chemicals are blasted into the ground to split apart rocks containing natural gas, then pumped out to extract fuel.
- Gold Mining Execs Buzzing About Miner Stock Valuations: Report
March 13 2012 10:46 AM
Gold mining executives meeting in Toronto for an annual prospectors' convention have been buzzing about their stocks relatively weak valuatio and what they should be doing about it, the Financial Times reported.
- Presidential Progress Report: U.S. To Meet President's Energy Goals, White House Says
March 12 2012 5:57 PM
In a presidential progress report published Monday, the U.S. seems poised to meet President Barack Obama's future energy plans as outlined in March of last year.
- Silver Standard Resources Profit Off 99%, But Beats Street
March 12 2012 4:22 PM
Silver Standard Resources, Inc. (NASDAQ:SSRI) reported Monday the company had earned $2.6 million, or 3 cents per share, for the quarter ended December 31, a drastic drop of 99.3 percent when compared to the same period in the prior year, but better than analyst expectations which had assumed the company would post a loss for the quarter.
- Feds Promise Action On Wall Street Speculation Blamed For High Gasoline Prices
March 12 2012 3:07 PM
In a bid to tamp down high gas prices, federal regulators hope to have rules in place that would limit oil and gasoline price speculation on Wall Street in several months.
- Key EPA Fracking Study Update Delayed Again
March 09 2012 2:34 PM
State, local and Federal regulators have agreed on another round of water sampling at a site in Wyoming, as they investigate claims hydraulic fracturing contaminated ground water in the area.
- IBT1000: Nakilat Shippers of the World's Natural Gas
March 09 2012 2:11 PM
War's shadow looms over the Strait of Hormuz, and for one company in Qatar, the disruption of shipping traffic of the Strait could very well mean the end of its business.
- Deepwater Horizon: Judge Changes Management of BP Claims Fund
March 08 2012 6:03 PM
The judge handling the government's case against BP (NYSE: BP) took control of the third-party claims in a $20 billion fund, removing it from 9-11 Fund administrator Kenneth Feinberg.
- Senate Blocks GOP Bid To Force Keystone XL Pipeline
March 08 2012 5:52 PM
A congressional Republican bid to fast track the controversial Keystone XL Pipeline failed in the Senate Thursday as Democrats voted the motion down.
- Xstrata Paying $500M For Canadian Coking Coal Deposit
March 08 2012 9:41 AM
Swiss mining giant Xstrata PLC said Thursday it will pay $500 million in cash to Talisman Energy Inc. for its Sukunka hard coking coal deposit in northern British Columbia, Canada.
- World Sugar Prices Fall as Peru Divests from Nation's Mills
March 07 2012 10:23 AM
Peru's government will complete divesting itself from the country's sugar mill industry, completing the change in agrarian policy in the country started in 1997 and marking the end of government involvement that sector has seen since 1969, according to Bloomberg News. The development is expected to help boost sugar production in the country and, consequently, send world sugar prices down.
- BP Stock Hits Highest Level in Year on Gulf Coast Settlement
March 05 2012 9:29 AM
Traders throughout the world welcomed BP's settlement news Monday with the company's stock hitting its highest level in more than a year.
- Ford Focus Electric Becomes America’s Most Fuel-Efficient Five-Passenger Car
March 04 2012 10:24 AM
Ford Motor's Focus Electric, the company's first electric passenger car, has been crowned by the U. S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) with the certification of the most fuel-efficient five-passenger vehicle in the country.
- Chevron and Russia Discuss Arctic Exploration
March 01 2012 1:33 PM
Chevron executives met this week with Russian government representatives about possible oil exploration by the U.S. company in Russia's Arctic.
- U.S. Ready to Take BP, Others to Trial for Deepwater Horizon Spill
February 29 2012 3:23 PM
Attorney General Eric Holder says he's ready to take BP and and other defendants to court in the 2010 Gulf of Mexico oil spill.
- After Court Rules, Local Fracking Bans Could Increase in New York
February 28 2012 12:33 PM
The Village of Bath, N.Y., could be the latest local government in the state to bar hydraulic fracturing within its own municipal limits when it hosts a March 19 public hearing to adopt a fracking moratorium.
- Chevron Boosted in Bid To Get $18 Bln Ecuador Judgment Reversed
February 28 2012 12:12 PM
An international legal panel based in the Netherlands has decided that it has jurisdiction over a pollution case in Ecuador brought by aboriginals against California-based Chevron. The panel could void damages awarded in the case.
- API to Host Fracking Workshop in Albany
February 27 2012 5:13 PM
The American Petroleum Institute will be hosting a hydraulic fracturing workshop in Albany, N.Y. as part of an ongoing national effort to educate the public about the drilling technique that has been the source of controversy and debate in recent years.
- Buffett: Pleased by New IBM Stake, So Far
February 27 2012 5:00 PM
Warren E. Buffett, whose Berkshire Hathaway holding company has made him one of the richest men around, said he’s pleased by new holdings in technology.
- White House Backs Part of Keystone XL Pipeline
February 27 2012 4:28 PM
White House officials Monday welcomed TransCanada's plans to reapply for the Keystone XL pipeline and showed their support for the company's aims to build the southern portion of the controversial pipeline as a standalone project.