- Costco's Shares Touch Record High After Founder Lauds Obama
September 06 2012 3:40 PM
Costco Wholesale Corporation (NASDAQ: COST) stock price touched an all-time high on Thursday, a day after co-founder and former CEO James Sinegal addressed the Democratic National Convention.
- Texas Sporting Goods Store Offers Free Handgun For Facebook Likes
September 06 2012 2:42 PM
Sportman's Elite, a local sporting goods retailer that sells firearms and hunting equipment in El Paso, Texas, will be giving away a handgun to one of its Facebook fans once the page reaches 300 "likes."
- Amazon Debuts Kindle Fire Upgrades, “Paperwhite”e-Reader
September 06 2012 2:29 PM
Amazon.com Inc. (Nasdaq: AMZN), the No. 1 e-retailer, announced a new model of its Kindle Fire tablet, priced at $159 and available Sept. 14, as well as a new version of its e-reader dubbed Paperwhite, priced at $179 and $119.
- Emirates Agrees To Revenue-Sharing Pact With Qantas, Ending Deal With British Airways
September 06 2012 2:06 PM
Emirates, the world’s largest airline by international passenger traffic, has agreed to a revenue-sharing pact with Qantas Airways Ltd. (Sydney: QAN), Australia's largest airline and the oldest continually operated airline in the world, leaving Emirates' former partner British Airways out in the cold.
- Samsung: Facing Same China Abuse Charges As Apple, Can It Also Emerge Unscathed?
September 06 2012 12:19 PM
Samsung Electronics (Seoul: 005930) said shipments of its latest-version Galaxy S3 smartphone exceed 20 million, only six weeks after passing the 10 million mark. But a labor group asserted they're made in China under abusive conditions
- General Motors Banking On Chinese Designed Chevy Sail To Push Indian Unit Out of Doldrums
September 06 2012 12:18 PM
General Motors Company (NYSE: GM) is hoping its Chinese designed Chevrolet Sail can push its struggling Indian unit out of a sales doldrums.
- Amazon Leaks Kindle Fire 2 Commercial Ahead Of Thursday's Announcement; Release Date, Price Details Still Unknown [VIDEO]
September 06 2012 11:16 AM
All eyes may be on Apple's iPhone announcement next week, but on Wednesday night, Amazon strategically "leaked" an ad for its newest line of Kindle e-readers and tablets a day ahead of the company's planned launch event for those products. Amazon is expected to hold a press conference on Thursday, which many believe will see the unveiling of new Kindle devices, including a sequel to the Kindle Fire, unofficially dubbed "Kindle Fire 2."
- US Private Sector Added 201,000 Jobs In Aug, Planned Layoffs Decline - Reports
September 06 2012 10:54 AM
Employment in the U.S. private sector increased by 201,000 jobs – a greater addition than originally forecast for the month of August, according to an ADP study released Thursday. Employment in the U.S. private sector increased by 201,000 jobs – a greater addition than originally forecast for the month of August, according to an ADP study released Thursday.
- Samsung Says 10M Galaxy S3s Sold In Only 6 Weeks
September 06 2012 9:55 AM
Samsung Electronics (Seoul: 005930) said shipments of its latest-version Galaxy S3 smartphone exceed 20 million, only six weeks after passing the 10 million mark. The announcement cements the South Korean electronics giant’s lead as the No. 1 seller in the Android OS sector.
- AIG Selling Shares Of Asia Unit To Raise Funds For Own Stock Buyback
September 06 2012 8:55 AM
American International Group, Inc. will sell as much as $2 billion worth of shares in its Hong Kong-based AIA Group Ltd. unit to help raise funds for a planned repurchase of as much as $5 billion of its own shares from the U.S. government.
- US Private Sector Added 201,000 Jobs In August - Biggest Gain In 5 Months: ADP
September 06 2012 8:47 AM
Private employers added 201,000 jobs in August, easily beating economists' expectations, a report by a payrolls processor showed on Thursday.
- FCC To Evaluate Telecom Carriers' Mobile Broadband Speed
September 06 2012 8:33 AM
The U.S. Federal Communications Commission (FCC) will commence evaluation of the mobile broadband speed to help customers know if they are getting value for money.
- iPad Hacking: Was Obama's iPad Compromised In Antisec Hacking? Is Romney Also A Victim Of Hacking Attack?
September 06 2012 6:16 AM
Even as FBI denied Antisec Hacker group's claim that it stole personal identification data from millions of Apple device owners, news of Obama's iPad being compromised is making rounds in technology circuits.
- AAPL: Apple Stock's Marginal Loss Tests Nokia, Motorola, Samsung Phone Launches; Sept.12 Event Looks Promising With iPhone 5 Release
September 06 2012 3:20 AM
Apple (AAPL) stock closed Sept.5 at $670.23 losing 4.74 points ending 0.70% lower than the previous close. The marginal fall indicates that Apple is not heavily impacted by the new phone launches from competitors Nokia, Motorola and Samsung.
- Top Post-Market Nasdaq Movers (Amyris, Theravance, KiOR, Mitcham, TechTarget, Cross Country Healthcare, Warner Chilcott, SeaChange, Conn's, ZAGG)
September 06 2012 1:36 AM
The top after-market Nasdaq gainers Wednesday were Amyris Inc, Theravance Inc, KiOR Inc, Mitcham Industries Inc and TechTarget Inc. The top after-market Nasdaq losers were Cross Country Healthcare Inc, Warner Chilcott plc, SeaChange International Inc, Conn's and ZAGG Inc.
- Apple iPhone 5 May Be Called 'New iPhone,' If Alleged Packaging Box Features Are To Be Believed [RUMORS]
September 05 2012 6:38 PM
For more than a year, most Apple fans and followers of the brand have called the company's sixth-generation smartphone "the iPhone 5." But after releasing the new iPad in March - not the iPad 3, or the iPad HD - it looks like Apple will once again release a new iOS device without a distinguishing name or number. A newly-released photo shows a woman holding the iPhone 5 packaging box, but the label very clearly reads, "The new iPhone."
- Ubisoft Abandons DRM For PC Games: What This Means For Consumers
September 05 2012 5:39 PM
Ubisoft Entertainment announced on Wednesday that it is abandoning its always-online digital rights management (DRM) practices for PC games, ending a long battle between the software publisher and its critics and consumers over the controversial anti-piracy measure.
- Cable Networks Pull Partisan Eyeballs For Convention Coverage
September 05 2012 5:12 PM
According to Nielsen, the left-leaning MSNBC was the ratings winner among cable news networks that covered the opening of the DNC on Tuesday, a different picture from last week when Fox News cleaned house during the RNC.
- Railroad Cargo Growth Slows, And Execs Are Cautious About Pre-Holiday Shopping
September 05 2012 4:42 PM
Railroad executives said Wednesday that they are not expecting strong growth in cargo volume in the pre-holiday shopping season, but most future holiday gifts are delivered by trucks.
- Newly Elected Parti Quebecois Wants To Raise Mining Fees, Scaring Businesses
September 05 2012 3:12 PM
After seizing minority control of Quebec's legislature and premiership on Tuesday, the separatist Parti Quebecois is seeking to increase mining royalties and individual taxes, which could impact companies like Cliffs Natural Resources (NYSE: CLF), Rio Tinto Group (NYSE: RIO) and Xstrata Plc (London: XTA).