- PIP Founder: France Criminal in Recommending Removal
January 19 2012 9:28 AM
The founder of a French company at the heart of an international health scandal acknowledged on Wednesday that he had used unapproved silicone in breast implants, but said France's recommendation for women to have them removed was criminal.
- UnitedHealth 4Q Profit Tops Analysts' Expectations
January 19 2012 8:46 AM
UnitedHealth Group Inc (UNH.N) posted a higher-than-expected fourth-quarter profit on Thursday, helped by increased membership across its array of health plans.
- FDA Approves BTG's Voraxaze Drug for Cancer Toxicity
January 18 2012 10:04 AM
U.S. health regulators gave the nod on Tuesday to a drug from British specialty drugmaker BTG Plc that helps cancer patients get rid of toxic levels of a chemotherapy treatment.
- CES 2012: Ex-Apple CEO Sculley Lauds Jobs; Calls for ‘Disruptive Technology’ to Marry Health Care with Computing
January 12 2012 5:51 PM
Former Apple CEO John Sculley called for “disruptive technologies” to determine how to marry healthcare with emerging computer and telecommunications technologies.
- CES 2012: IBM Stays Backstage but Executive Sees Major ‘Cloud’ Opportunities for Consumer Electronics Clients
January 11 2012 2:06 AM
If it were 1992, IBM might well have been one of the biggest exhibitors at the International Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas. There would have been a huge display of IBM PCs, software and printers, even though the printer unit had been sold the year before.
- CES 2012: World's First Internet-Connected Baby Scale Debuts
January 10 2012 4:51 PM
Withings debuted the world's first Internet-connected baby and toddler scale at CES 2012 in Las Vegas. It records the weight and height of the child and wirelessly transmits the information to smartphones and computers to help parents keep track of their child's development.
- Health Care Law Must Fall With Insurance Mandate: Senate GOP
January 09 2012 4:14 PM
A group of Republican senators said in a court brief that the Affordable Care Act must be entirely struck down should the individual mandate be deemed unconstitutional.
- Bristol-Myers Acquires Inhibitex for $2.5 Billion, Targeting Hepatitis C
January 09 2012 12:57 PM
Bristol-Myers Squibb Co. (BMY), the American pharmaceutical giant that is facing the near-term loss of patent protections on three of its four top sellers, is set to buy U.S. biotech company Inhibitex Inc. for $2.5 billion.
- Bristol-Myers Squibb to Buy Inhibitex for Hepatitis C Treatment
January 07 2012 11:28 PM
The Bristol-Myers Squibb Co. has agreed to acquire Inhibitex Inc. for about $2.5 billion to gain access to its promising hepatitis C treatment, the companies said on Saturday.
- US Medical Equipment Entrepreneurs Set to Profit from Spike in India Diabetes Cases
January 06 2012 4:23 PM
Economic growth has led to an explosion in diabetes cases in India. The public health problem presents an opportunity for both the established multinationals, as well as some smaller American start-ups making their presence felt in the market.
- Guido Rasi: EU Medicines Head Urges Tougher Breast Implant Rules
January 06 2012 9:12 AM
The new head of Europe's drugs watchdog said on Friday there was an acute need to tighten regulations on medical devices, adding to pressure for radical change in the wake of a global scandal over French-made breast implants.
- Shortage of Adderall for ADHD Sparks Nationwide Concern
January 04 2012 6:37 AM
Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) is an extremely common psychiatric disorder in the U.S. According to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), approximately nine percent of children between the ages of four and 17 are affected with ADHD each year.
- Enfamil Pulled from Shelves: Alternative Infant Feeding Formulas
December 24 2011 6:21 AM
Enfamil Pulled from Shelves: Alternative Infant Feeding Formulas
- Pre-Market NASDAQ Movers (WCAA, TIBX, CECO, IPGP, CSIQ, ALSK, NEOG, VVUS, BBBY, TRIP)
December 23 2011 8:29 AM
The top pre-market NASDAQ gainers are: WCA Waste Corp., Tibco Software, Career Education, IPG Photonics and Canadian Solar. The top pre-market NASDAQ losers are: Alaska Communications, Neogen, Vivus, Bed Bath & Beyond and TripAdvisor.
- Top 10 Market Predictions for 2012
December 22 2011 8:49 AM
The fact is everyone in the financial services or wealth management business has thought about what they feel the markets will do next year. Following are the 10 market predictions for 2012 from Oliver Pursche, co-portfolio manager of GMG Defensive Beta Fund.
- Five Investment Tips for the Ages
December 21 2011 12:16 PM
To be sure, it's not a U.S. stock market for rookies, or the squeamish -- it's a market that also can bring out the reactive in even the most experienced investor. Hence with the above in mind, here are 5 time-tested axioms that every investor should keep close by.
- Medco Shareholders Approve Merger with Express Scripts
December 21 2011 11:42 AM
Based on a preliminary vote count, 99 percent of shareholders of the Franklin, N.J.-based pharmacy benefit manager approved the merger.
- Technology 2011 in Review: Highlights and Lowlights
December 20 2011 4:09 PM
No doubt 2011 was a major year for technology in part because it touched everyone differently. Following are some of the highlights and lowlights of the year:
- Crunch Time for Firms; Companies May Struggle to Meet Debt Obligations
December 17 2011 5:09 PM
With India's economic growth buckling and the rupee at an all-time low, other companies, too, are expected to struggle to meet debt obligations in the coming months.
- Oman Seeks Medical Tourists as Its Residents Become Tourists Themselves
December 16 2011 3:45 PM
As Oman positions itself as a medical tourism destination, the country faces a significant challenge: How to keep its own citizens from going abroad to seek treatments.