- EU Patent Dispute Outcome Limits DMD Opportunity for AVI Biopharma
November 21 2011 4:29 AM
Prosensa announced the outcome of the Opposition Division of the European Patent Office (EPO) ruling on dystrophin exon 51 skipping molecule. Wedbush Securities said the EPO decision, pending any appeal, may effectively prevent AVI BioPharma from marketing its lead exon 51 skipping molecule, eteplirsen, for Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy in the European Union without a license
- Regeneron's Eylea OK'd in U.S. for Treating Wet Age-Related Macular Degeneration
November 19 2011 11:41 PM
Regeneron Pharmaceuticals Inc.'s Eylea (aflibercept) has been approved for marketing by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration in the treatment of wet age-related macular degeneration.
- FDA Revokes Avastin for Breast Cancer Use
November 18 2011 12:35 PM
The Food and Drug Administration revoked the use of Avastin for breast cancer treatments Friday, saying that the Roche-owned drug was not safe or effective specifically to treat breast cancer.
- FDA Approves Drug for Chemotherapy Allergy
November 18 2011 11:37 AM
The Food and Drug Administration approved a drug Friday for leukemia patients who develop allergies to chemotherapy treatments.
- GE Plans to Hire 400 Software Engineers for California Center in $1 Billion Expansion
November 17 2011 11:02 AM
General Electric, the biggest U.S. conglomerate, announced plans to hire as many as 400 more software engineers for a new global center in San Ramon, Calif. The company said it plans to spend as much as $1 billion on software development through 2015.
- Obama Scolds Tobacco Companies Over Labeling
November 17 2011 10:22 AM
President Barack Obama scolded tobacco companies for trying to block health warning labels on cigarettes, a product the world leader himself only recently quit using.
- FDA Panel Backs Pfizer Vaccine Prevnar 13 for Adults
November 16 2011 8:49 PM
Pfizer Inc won expert backing for using its blockbuster vaccine in adults to fight pneumonia, meningitis and other diseases caused by pneumococcus bacteria.
- Incyte Stock Surges on Drug Announcement
November 16 2011 3:11 PM
Incyte stock prices soared after the pharmaceutical company announced that U.S. federal regulators approved a drug meant to treat patients with the rare bone marrow disease myelofibrosis.
- Apple Elects Levinson as its Second Chairman Post-Jobs
November 16 2011 10:15 AM
Apple elected Genentech CEO Arthur Levinson as its second Chairman, following the Oct. 5 death of Steve Jobs.
- Kotex Tampons Recalled from Major Stores Over Risk of ‘Life Threatening’ Bacterial Infection
November 16 2011 4:30 AM
Kotex Tampons Recalled from Major Stores Over Risk of ‘Life Threatening’ Bacterial Infection
- Post-Market NASDAQ Movers (EXEL, MNKD, VELT, AMRN, ERIC, HOTT, ASYS, FLOW, IDIX, SPPI)
November 16 2011 2:59 AM
The top after-market NASDAQ stock market gainers are: Exelis, MannKind, Velti, Amarin and LM Ericsson. The top after-market NASDAQ stock market losers are: Hot Topic, Amtech Systems, Flow International, Idenix Pharma and Spectrum Pharma.
- Residents Fight for Their Hospital
November 15 2011 11:34 AM
A small group of protesters have been gathering near the former site of St. Vincent's Hospital for the past eight days to demand Rudin Management, the developer of the site, bring back full-service to the hospital.
- Idenix Pharmaceuticals Upgraded at Wedbush Securities
November 15 2011 8:51 AM
Wedbush Securities upgraded its rating on shares of Idenix Pharmaceuticals Inc. (NASDAQ: IDIX) to outperform from neutral. The brokerage also raised its fair value estimate to $11 from $6.
- No Need for New Cost-Cutting Plan at Roche Holding AG: Chairman
November 13 2011 6:00 AM
Swiss drugmaker Roche Holding AG does not need a new cost-cutting program after it announced a big savings plan last year, Chairman Franz Humer told a newspaper on Sunday.
- Cardiome Pharma Downgraded at Wedbush Securities
November 11 2011 10:16 AM
Wedbush Securities downgraded its rating on shares of Cardiome Pharma Corp. (NASDAQ: CRME) to “neutral” from “outperform” as the trial of oral vernakalant continues to delay. The brokerage also lowered its fair value estimate to $4 from $8.50.
- Lexicon Phase 2a LX2931 Rheumatoid Arthritis Data Confirm Safety
November 10 2011 7:37 AM
Wedbush Securities said Lexicon Pharmaceuticals Inc.'s (NASDAQ: LXRX) phase 2a LX2931 for rheumatoid arthritis data presented at ACR confirm safety and support testing of higher doses.
- Wendy's Slips in 3Q as Costs from Arby's Sale offset Success of its Dave's Hot 'N Juicy Burger Line
November 09 2011 1:50 PM
Wendy's Co. reported further losses in its third-quarter earnings report released Thursday, as the fast-food conglomerate deals with higher costs of food and continued costs from its sale of the Arby's restaurant chain in July.
- Weight Watchers' Online Success Helps Weight-Loss Company Grow in 3Q
November 08 2011 5:22 PM
Weight Watchers International, Inc. saw its third-quarter revenue jump 29.6 percent from the prior-year period and net income nearly double, as its online business surged.
- Mediclinic H1 profit up 10.7 pct, shares fall
November 08 2011 1:53 PM
Africa's biggest hospital group by value, Mediclinic International, reported 10.7 percent rise in first-half profit as strong demand and favourable currency swings helped offset the dilutive effect of a rights offer.
- FDA Approves Bristol-Myers' Erbitux for Metastatic Head And Neck Cancer
November 08 2011 8:41 AM
Drug maker Bristol-Myers Squibb Co. (NYSE:BMY) said it has won the approval of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for the expanded use of its cancer drug, Erbitux.