- FDA Approves J&J's Xarelto for Atrial-Fibrillation Treatment
November 06 2011 1:35 AM
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has approved Johnson & Johnson's anticlotting drug Xarelto (rivaroxaban) to cut the risk of stroke in patients with nonvalvular atrial fibrillation (AFib), both the company and the FDA announced.
- 3Q Earnings Picture: Hits and Misses
November 04 2011 4:40 PM
We are now well into third quarter earnings season, with the vast majority of companies reported both bottom- and top-line results that met or beat expectations. Here's a summary of who met, and who missed, analyst estimates.
- Johnson & Johnson Says Baby Shampoo is Safe
November 04 2011 4:11 AM
Johnson & Johnson, the U.S. healthcare giant, Thursday denied reports that its baby shampoo products contained cancer-causing chemicals.
- CVS Caremark Posts 7.3 Jump in Earnings, Boosted by Contract with Aetna
November 03 2011 12:16 PM
CVS Caremark Corp.'s third-quarter earnings jumped 7.3 percent, off a boost in pharmacy services and retail pharmacy revenues.
- FDA to Test Pet Food for Salmonella, Targets Big Box Distributors Including PetSmart, Wal-Mart, Costco
November 03 2011 11:02 AM
In an effort to curb human exposure to Salmonella in pet foods, the FDA is collecting pet food samples for testing and analysis. The campaign focuses on food sold in big box distributors like PetSmart, PetCo, WalMart, Costco, Sam's Club, and Target, but also includes large grocery chains and pet food manufacturers.
- Kraft Foods Profit Jumps 22 Percent in Third-Quarter Earnings
November 03 2011 3:33 AM
Kraft Foods Inc. (KFT) reported a 22 percent leap in third-quarter profits Wednesday from the same period a year ago. The company touted its investments in marketing and new products to help turn increased profits despite significantly higher prices.
- Johnson & Johnson Baby Shampoo Still Contains Cancer-Causing Chemicals: Report
November 02 2011 5:29 PM
Johnson & Johnson is the target of new analysis from the Campaign for Safe Cosmetics, which released a second report detailing two cancer-causing chemicals found in Johnson & Johnson's popular baby shampoo.
- Pfizer Earnings Top Expectations on Lipitor Strength, Gains from Capsugel Sale
November 01 2011 2:15 PM
Pfizer Inc., the world's largest drug maker, reported third-quarter profit that topped analysts' expectations based on U.S. growth of their cholesterol block-buster drug Lipitor, favorable foreign exchange rates and increases in overseas sales.
- FDA Approves Pacira's Pain Drug Exparel
November 01 2011 10:18 AM
Pacira Pharmaceuticals Inc. (NASDAQ: PCRX) said its drug Exparel, which is intended to treat pain following surgery, has been approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. The company expects to launch Exparel in January 2012.
- Pre-Market NASDAQ Movers (YHOO, PCRX, IBKR, HRBN, DRYS)
October 31 2011 8:46 AM
The top pre-market NASDAQ stock market movers are Pacira Pharma, Interactive Brokers Group, Harbin Electric, DryShips and Yahoo.
- Post-Market NASDAQ Movers (MNTA, HMSY, CWEI, MDAS, FSYS, NTGR)
October 31 2011 3:54 AM
The top after-market NASDAQ stock market movers on Oct.28 include Momenta Pharmaceuticals, HMS Holdings, Clayton Williams Energy, MedAssets, Fuel Systems Solutions and Netgear.
- More Companies Shed Light on Political Spending
October 28 2011 9:21 AM
More American companies are bending to shareholder pressure to reveal their spending to sway political campaigns despite court decisions allowing unfettered corporate cash in elections, according to a study released on Friday.
- Bayer Profits Beat Expectations, Confirms Outlook
October 27 2011 1:35 PM
German drugs and plastics maker Bayer confirmed its full-year outlook and posted better than-expected quarterly earnings on strong growth in emerging markets.
- Merck's Gardasil HPV Shots Recommended for Boys: U.S. Vaccine Advisors
October 25 2011 12:46 PM
U.S. vaccine advisers on Tuesday voted to recommend that boys be routinely vaccinated with Merck & Co's Gardasil vaccine to protect them from human papillomavirus or HPV infections, which cause genital warts and oral, penile and anal cancers in males and cervical cancers in women.
- Swiss Drugmaker Novartis to Cut 2,000 Jobs
October 25 2011 11:01 AM
Most of the job cuts will take place in Switzerland and the United States.
- Cigna to Buy HealthSpring for $3.8 Billion
October 24 2011 10:36 AM
Health insurer Cigna will buy HealthSpring for about $3.8 billion to jump-start its business selling Medicare plans for the elderly.
- Wal-Mart Trims U.S. Health Insurance Coverage as Healthcare Costs Rise
October 21 2011 5:25 PM
Wal-Mart Stores Inc will no longer offer health insurance to new part-time U.S. employees who work fewer than 24 hours a week and will charge workers who use tobacco more for coverage as healthcare costs rise, the company said on Friday.
- J&J, Novartis Face EU Antitrust Probe Over Possible Hampering of Generic Drug Entry into Dutch Market
October 21 2011 10:54 AM
EU antitrust regulators are investigating agreements between Johnson & Johnson and Novartis over concerns they may have delayed the entry of a generic version of a powerful painkiller on to the Dutch market.
- More Data of Oncothyreon's PX-866 in Combo with Docetaxel Dosing Expected at AACR
October 21 2011 10:24 AM
Wedbush Securities anticipates more complete data of Oncothyreon Inc.'s (NASDAQ: ONTY) PX-866 in combination with docetaxel dosing at American Association for Cancer Research (AACR) on Nov. 12.
- Abbott Laboratories: Split-Up Long Time Coming
October 21 2011 8:58 AM
The conglomerate will divide itself into a medical products firm (which will retain the “Abbott” name) and an as-yet-unnamed pharmaceutical research & development entity.