Law & Society
- Illegal File Sharing Case Poses $675,000 Question For Supreme Court
May 17 2012 3:52 PM
Inside Joel Tenenbaum's legal crusade against the recording industry and a $675,000 penalty for file sharing.
- JPMorgan Slapped With Shareholder Suits Over $2B Trading Loss
May 16 2012 5:25 PM
JPMorgan's $2 billion trading loss makes the financial giant an easy target for shareholder lawsuits.
- Skechers Shape-ups Ads Push Sketchy Claims: FTC
May 16 2012 1:31 PM
The Federal Trade Commission Wednesday announced a $40 million settlement with Skechers over claims made in advertisements for their Shape-up leg toning shoes.
- Death Penalty Causes State-Fed Clash Over Accused Murderer In Rhode Island
May 11 2012 5:05 PM
Rhode Island Gov. Lincoln Chafee said he will petition to Supreme Court to keep in state custody an accused murderer facing federal charges, to avoid the death penalty, which the governor opposes.
- Ex-Cop And Estranged Wife Enter Suicide Pact, Drive Car Off Cliff
May 11 2012 6:04 AM
Astrologer David Mallard was walking around the area of Culver Cliffs when he saw a Renault Scenic car crash through the fence and drive off the cliff, falling on the rocks on the beach below.
- House Republicans Attempt To Hamstring Eric Holder's Justice Department
May 10 2012 5:14 PM
Republicans in the U.S. House of Representatives added amendments to a Justice Department funding bill that would restrict taxpayer money from litigation involving voter ID laws, the health care law and other politically-divisive issues.
- Obama On Same-Sex Marriage: Personal Support, But Not As Civil Right
May 10 2012 11:12 AM
President Barack Obama made a historic announcement of his support of gays and lesbians marrying, but stopped short of calling it a civil right.
- Sex-Change Surgery Legalized In Argentina; New Gender Rights Law Approved (Report)
May 10 2012 9:43 AM
After legalizing gay marriages in 2010, Argentina now welcomes a new gender rights law that gives it citizen the right to undergo sex-change surgery or hormone therapy lawfully.
- MI6 Spy In The Bag Gareth Williams: Army Veteran Shows Getting Inside The Sports Bag And Locking Self Is Easy
May 10 2012 7:27 AM
The latest development in the case of the yet unsolved mystery of MI6 spy Gareth Williams' death is that a veteran Army officer demonstrating how Williams could have got himself locked inside the sports bag and perhaps been suffocated to death. According to Jim Fetherstonhaugh, 49 - a sergeant in the Royal Artillery for 22 years, it is not only highly possible that Williams locked himself, is also a very simple and easy task to do (including padlocking himself). Many MI6 agents, after the dea...
- Muslim Husband Slaps Sister-In-Law, Calls Her A 'Slut' For Taking His Wife To Beach
May 09 2012 9:06 AM
A Morocco immigrant attacked his sister-in-law for taking his wife to the beach. He was enraged because she dared to take his wife on the beach trip without his permission, a court heard on Tuesday. Ismail Belghar allegedly slapped Canan Kokden across her face, called her a 'slut' and held her over a car park railing when he noticed his wife Hanife Kokden's sunburned shoulders.
- Accused 9/11 Plotters' Counsel Puts Entire System, Torture On Trial
May 07 2012 6:09 PM
After the arraignment of the five accused 9/11 planners, their civilian counsel criticized the military commission handling the case.
- Four Teenagers Kill Man For Money As His Daughter And Wife Witness The Horror
May 07 2012 7:50 AM
In a shocking incident, two teenagers and two men in their early 20s have been accused of killing a 40 year-old -man in front of his wife and daughter. The accused men are at large and the police continues to hunt for them. According to a report in Mail Online, the men gunned down and stabbed Victor Quevedo, the victim, outside his home on Saturday night. Quevedo from Houston, Texas, was driving his car into his apartment after an outing with his wife and 13-year-old step daughter when the men ...
- Body Of Missing Hiker Found At The Bottom Of 60-Foot Deep Cave
May 07 2012 7:39 AM
A body found in an area of canyons, crevices and caves in East County by the search crews is believed to be of the hiker who went missing on the Easter Sunday. Guillermo Pino, a UCSD psychology student, had gone missing about a month ago when he went hiking with his family. The sheriff's deputies and search units were called on Sunday to the Anza-Borrego Desert State when the body was reportedly found in the Arroyo Tapiado area. Pino went missing from the same area, said the officials. P......
- Afghan Girl Sahar Gul's Torturers Get 10 Years Imprisonment (Photos, Video)
May 06 2012 7:08 AM
The in-laws of Sahar Gul, a 15-year-old Afghan girl, were Tuesday sentenced to 10 years in prison for the unsavory and barbaric treatment they inflicted on her after she had refused to enter prostitution.
- Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, 4 Other Accused 9/11 Plotters To Be Arraigned At Gitmo
May 04 2012 5:18 PM
Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, the confessed mastermind behind the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks on the United States, will be formally arraigned -- along with four alleged co-conspirators -- in a military court at the Guantanamo Bay Naval Base in Cuba on Saturday. Each faces the death penalty.
- Attorney General Eric Holder Under Fire From House GOP
May 04 2012 4:20 PM
U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder is getting election-year heat from two prominent Republicans in the House of Representatives.
- FAMU Hazing Case: Why Murder Charges Weren't Filed In Robert Champion's Death
May 03 2012 2:33 PM
Florida A&M University drum major Robert Champion was beaten so severely and by so many people that prosecutors say it was difficult to determine exactly who is responsible for his death during a hazing ritual last year.
- Supreme Court Should Overturn Health Care Law, Swing State Voters Say: Poll
May 03 2012 1:05 PM
A survey of three swing states -- Florida, Ohio and Pennsylvania -- show more voters want the U.S. Supreme Court to strike down the health care law.
- Casey Anthony: Pastor's Wife Who Gave Her Shelter Calls 'Tot Mom' Self-Centered In Disturbing Voicemail
May 03 2012 8:03 AM
One year after the acquittal of Orlando mother Casey Anthony, facts and clues are still emerging. A recent voice mail left by the wife of a pastor who sheltered Casey Anthony after the murder trial lets out yet another clue on 'who' Casey is. The voice mail obtained exclusively by Radaronline has Pastor's wife Cindy Camp, asking Casey to stop being selfish and to think of others. For once get outside your own head and think of someone else, she says at one point in the voice mai...
- Bush Torture Memo Author John Yoo Immune From American Enemy Combatant's Suit
May 02 2012 3:23 PM
The 9th Circuit Court of Appeals rejected Jose Padilla's lawsuit against Bush administration counsel and torture memo author John Yoo.