- What's Behind the Upward Trend in Housing Activity?
December 21 2011 5:53 AM
Housing starts rose much more than expected during November, as unseasonably warm weather allowed builders to begin work on more projects than they usually do in November.
- Ekaterina Rybolovleva, Russian Heiress, Buys $88 Mil NYC Apartment
December 20 2011 9:37 AM
Ekaterina Rybolovleva is a mere 22-years-old but she just dropped $88 million on a 6,744-square foot apartment at 15 Central Park West. The apartment boasts 10 rooms, including four bedrooms, a wrap-around terrace and two wood-burning fireplaces.
- American Airlines’ $30M Luxury London Townhouse
December 15 2011 9:45 AM
Bankrupt American Airlines' $30 million London townhouse was apparently overlooked in cost-cutting efforts.
- Lehman's Bankruptcy Estate Preparing Bid for Archstone Stake: Report
December 11 2011 6:41 AM
The bankruptcy estate of Lehman Brothers Holdings Inc. is preparing to make a $1.33 billion bid for part of apartment owner Archstone that it does not already hold, according to a report in The Wall Street Journal.
- Pamela Anderson’s Malibu Beach House is this winter’s Hottest Rental
November 30 2011 12:21 PM
Looking for a luxurious winter escape? How about renting Pamela Anderson's Malibu beach house!
- N.Y. Lawmaker Boyland Faces New Bribery Allegations After Beating Corruption Charges
November 29 2011 3:44 PM
After beating a federal corruption rap Nov. 10, a New York State lawmaker was charged again for trading his influence for money.
- U.S. Underwater Mortgages Down Slightly in 3Q: CoreLogic
November 29 2011 1:03 PM
U.S. homeowners with mortgages worth more than the value of their homes decreased slightly in the third quarter, according to a report from CoreLogic.
- U.S. New Home Sales Increase in October, But Below Forecast
November 28 2011 12:47 PM
New single-family home sales totaled 307,000 in October, an increase over the previous month, but fell below analysts' expectations.
- October Existing-Home Sales Rise Unexpectedly, But Still Weak
November 21 2011 10:44 AM
Sales of previously owned homes in the U.S. rose in October while the number of homes on the market continued to decline, according to the National Association of Realtors. Although falling property values and near record-low borrowing costs are starting to appeal to homebuyers, a growing trend of last minute cancellation suggests that even those who are looking to buy are worried about the housing market.
- Fannie, Freddie Executives Say They Need Big Paychecks to Protect Taxpayer Money
November 16 2011 3:52 PM
Top executives at Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac defended their lucrative pay before a House panel on Wednesday, one day after lawmakers approved suspending top executive compensation packages and moving the firms' thousands of employees onto a pay scale that lines up with federal financial regulators.
- Sam Zell's Equity Residential Leads With $2.5 Billion Archstone Bid
November 16 2011 1:11 PM
Real estate mogul Sam Zell's Equity Residential is the lead bidder to buy 53 percent of rival company Archstone for over $2.5 billion, the Wall Street Journal reported.
- Gingrich Earned $1.6 Million as Freddie Mac Consultant
November 16 2011 11:45 AM
Newt Gingrich earned between $1.6 million and $1.8 million as a consultant for the government-sponsored mortgage company Freddie Mac, far more than the $300,000 contract he disclosed in a recent debate, according to a Bloomberg News investigation. The advice he reportedly gave them contradicts his recent criticisms of the company.
- Existing Home Sales Rise 1.2 Percent in October
November 16 2011 9:21 AM
Sales of existing homes in Canada rose in October to the highest level since January, boosting forecasts for national resale activity for 2011 and confirming Canada's housing market remains robust.
- Canadian Housing starts ease but beat expectations
November 08 2011 1:49 PM
Canadian housing starts slipped in October, but came in higher than expectations, as low interest rates and condominium building helped offset the impact of negative global economic news.
- New York, Delaware AGs to Complete 'Critical' Part of Mortgage Crisis Probe Soon
November 07 2011 7:02 PM
State attorneys general Eric Schneiderman of New York and Beau Biden of Delaware have teamed up to investigate mortgage crisis.
- Jennifer Aniston Buys Gramercy Park Apartment in New York
November 04 2011 6:01 PM
Jennifer Aniston has purchased an apartment in New York's Gramercy Park. Aniston paid $8.7 million for a 2,873 square-foot unit in 50 Gramercy Park North.
- Canada agency sees moderating house starts, prices
November 04 2011 11:13 AM
Canadian housing starts are expected to stabilize into 2012, while sales of existing homes will rise slightly and price rises will moderate, Canada Mortgage and Housing Corp (CMHC) said in its quarterly outlook on Friday.
- Four Million U.S. Foreclosures Eligible For Review: Federal Regulators
November 01 2011 2:53 PM
Mortgage borrowers with homes that were foreclosed on between 2009 to 2010 will have a chance for an independent review, the Treasury Department's Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC) announced on Tuesday.
- Silicon Valley NYC One Step Closer to Reality
October 31 2011 8:29 PM
New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg announced Monday that a proposal to bring an applied sciences university to the city continues to move forward. Under Applied Sciences NYC, dubbed one of the most exciting projects the city has undertaken in the past decade by U.S. Senator Charles E. Schumer, seven proposals are under consideration for the groundbreaking program. The winner will be awarded free city land and up to $100 million in city capital funding in exchange for constructing a ma...
- Sloan-Kettering Buys Hertz Building For $19.05 Million, Eyes Clinical Use
October 31 2011 3:03 PM
Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center has purchased a property at 327 East 64th Street in Manhattan from the car rental company Hertz Corporation for $19.05 million, according to city records.