- US Pending Home Sales Fall 5.5% In April, Weakest Result In A Year: NAR
May 30 2012 10:49 AM
U.S. pending home sales fell 5.5 percent in April compared to the prior month, the National Association of Realtors said Wednesday, marking the weakest result in a year and raising more uncertainty surrounding the housing recovery.
- Too Big To Succeed? Dewey & LaBoeuf's Demise Mirrors Real Estate Collapse
May 30 2012 6:46 AM
The global headquarters of Dewey & LaBoeuf LLP, a glass-sheathed office tower in midtown Manhattan, has a commanding view of a stretch of Sixth Avenue looking downtown. A pair of statues, designed by artist Jim Dine, rise from the plaza of the stately office, overlooking Rockefeller Center. But now, it will be the law firm's ornate tomb, a reminder of its glory days.
- Case-Shiller Home Price Index Falls 2.6% In March, Lowest Level Since 2002
May 29 2012 9:20 AM
U.S. home prices in 20 major cities fell by 2.6 percent in March, hitting the lowest level since 2002, according to the S&P/Case-Shiller housing index released Monday.
- In Lehman's Archstone Deal, 'Grave Dancer' Sam Zell Wins Again
May 25 2012 5:34 PM
Sam Zell, the Chicago real-estate mogul, has become so well-known for feasting on distressed assets that he's been called the grave dancer. This week, Zell took the nickname to the next level: He's about to receive $70 million from a ghost.
- Mortgage Executive Sells 15 Central Park West Condo For $23.3 Million, Twice What He Paid
May 25 2012 12:36 PM
The CEO of a New York commercial mortgage company sold his personal condo at 15 Central Park West, one of the most expensive buildings in the world, for $23.3 million, according to city records filed Friday.
- Are Record-Low Mortgage Rates Hurting The US Housing Market?
May 25 2012 5:57 AM
U.S. mortgages rates have dropped to record lows for four consecutive weeks, but that doesn't mean more homes will be sold. In fact, at least one housing expert argues that extremely low rates are causing banks to be even more stringent with underwriting approvals, turning away more prospective buyers and hurting the national housing market.
- US 30-Year Mortgage Rate Hit New Record Low: 3.78%
May 24 2012 10:29 AM
U.S. 30-year fixed mortgage rates dropped to 3.78 percent in the week ending May 24, down slightly from 3.79 percent in the previous week, mortgage financier Freddie Mac said Thursday.
- US Housing Sector Stabilizing? April New Home Sales Rise 3.3%
May 23 2012 11:15 AM
Sales of new single-family homes in the U.S. rose more than expected in April and prices climbed higher, signaling fresh signs of life in the distressed housing market.
- Green Cities: The Best City Park Systems In America
May 23 2012 11:06 AM
How green is your city?
- Heath Ledger's 'Tree House' Bought By 'Hunger Games' Star Josh Hutcherson [PHOTOS]
May 23 2012 9:54 AM
Heath Ledger's Tree House in Hollywood Hills was bought by Josh Hutcherson. View the slideshow to see photos of the tree house formerly owned by the late Heath Ledger.
- U.S. Existing Home Sales Rose 3.4% In April
May 22 2012 11:16 AM
U.S. sales of previously owned homes rose 3.4 percent in April, reversing three months of declines and suggesting a stabilization of the housing market, the National Association of Realtors said Tuesday.
- US Existing Home Sales Rose 3% In April
May 22 2012 10:52 AM
U.S. home resales rose in April to their highest annual rate in nearly two years and a falloff in foreclosures pushed prices higher, hopeful signs for the country's economic recovery.
- Accor Sells Motel 6 To Blackstone For $1.9 Billion
May 22 2012 9:56 AM
French hotel giant Accor SA (Paris: AC) said Tuesday it will sell the underperforming Motel 6 U.S. budget hotel chain to asset manager Blackstone Group LP for $1.9 billion, as part of an effort to cut debt and shift focus from the U.S. to fast-growing emerging markets.
- Dalian Wanda Buys AMC Entertainment Cinema Company For $2.6B
May 21 2012 10:30 AM
A Chinese conglomerate will buy a major U.S. cinema chain, AMC, for $2.6 billion, in China's biggest takeover of an American company to date.
- 'World's Most Expensive House:' Ambani Family Unveil Interior of 'Antilia' for First Time [PHOTOS]
May 18 2012 12:37 PM
India's richest man and his wife have opened the doors into what is believed to be, the most expensive house in the world, unveiling exquisite dining areas, vast library's and even a snow room.
- Cuomo Boosts Stature After N.Y. Voters OK School Budget Tax Caps
May 17 2012 12:21 PM
New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo won a major boost this week after suburban and upstate voters approved 99 percent of their school budgets, most of which adhered to the Democratic governor?s new property tax cap.
- US Mortgage Rates Hit Record Low For 3rd Straight Week: Freddie Mac
May 17 2012 10:48 AM
U.S. 30-year fixed-rate mortgages hit a new record low for the third straight week as concerns over the euro zone weighed on the economy, mortgage financier Freddie Mac said Thursday.
- US April Housing Starts Rebound, But Permits Fall
May 16 2012 9:07 AM
U.S. builders began work on more homes than expected in April, government figures showed on Wednesday. But the data suggested that builders might also be slowing their future construction plans.
- New York School Budget Votes Could Send Tax Revolt Clue, Weigh Cuomo Popularity
May 15 2012 5:03 PM
New York?s suburban and upstate voters Tuesday are determining the future of their property tax rates and could also weigh on the standing of Democratic Gov. Andrew Cuomo.
- NAHB Builder Confidence Index Rises To Five-Year High In May
May 15 2012 11:17 AM
Homebuilder confidence in the U.S. single-family home market rose to a five-year high in May as buyer traffic increased and sales improved, according to the National Association of Home Builders/Wells Fargo Housing Market Index released Tuesday.