- Yahoo Probes Breach Of 450,000 User Accounts
July 12 2012 12:06 PM
Yahoo (Nasdaq: YHOO), the No. 3 search engine, acknowledged a security breach of a Singapore-based server from which a hacker group may have extracted log-ins for as many as 450,000 user accounts.
- CaptureToCloud Starts ?Social Workspace? As It Gets New Capital
July 11 2012 1:10 PM
CaptureToCloud, a year-old web developer, announced a new ?social workspace? for all kinds of digital content in the Cloud that?s tightly integrated with services from Google (Nasdaq: GOOG), the No. 1 search engine.
- World's Top 3 Jet Engine Makers Exploit Booming Airline Market
July 10 2012 2:06 PM
The world's top three jet engine makers are accelerating their research and development (R&D) efforts to cash in on a booming global aviation market.
- Will Facebook's Move Into Job Search Give LinkedIn A Run For Its Money?
July 09 2012 6:49 PM
Facebook, which is expected to claim one-seventh of humanity in its grasp next month, is trying to give LinkedIn a run for its money with a proposed entry into the job-recruiting market.
- Intel To Pay $1B For 10% Of ASML; First Move Into Chip Equipment Sector
July 09 2012 4:54 PM
Intel (Nasdaq: INTC), the No. 1 chipmaker, said it would commit as much as $1 billion to acquire a preliminary stake of 10 percent in Dutch semiconductor maker ASML Holding (Nasdaq: ASML).
- LinkedIn Gets Pounded On News Of Facebook Challenge
July 09 2012 3:43 PM
LinkedIn (NYSE: LNKD), the leading professional social networking site, lost as much as 6 percent of its value Monday on a report that Facebook (Nasdaq: FB), the No. 1 social networking site will start direct competition.
- Airlines Report June Rise In Passenger Traffic
July 05 2012 7:05 PM
Some airline companies appear to be faring much better in gaining passenger traffic thanks to a soaring demand for air travel and limited carrier choices -- a trend that has given U.S. airlines wide leeway to maintain overcrowded planes and shoddy customer service.
- After Barclays' Diamond Falls, Could Chase's Dimon Be Next?
July 03 2012 3:47 PM
CEO Robert Diamond's ouster from Barclays (NYSE: BCS) raises questions about whether Wall Street's doyen, Jame Dimon, CEO of JPMorgan Chase (NYSE: JPM), might be next to go, especially as his bank's problems mount.
- Microsoft Writes Off $6.3B For aQuantive Takeover
July 02 2012 4:57 PM
Microsoft (Nasdaq: MSFT), the world's biggest software company, said it would take a $6.2 billion onetime charge to write off its 2007 acquisition of aQuantive, an online advertising agency.
- Time Warner, CNN Brand May Gain From Anderson Cooper's Gay Announcement
July 02 2012 4:37 PM
Time Warner Inc.'s (NYSE: TWX) share price and advertising spending on CNN are unlikely to be impacted by Anderson Cooper's announcement that he's gay. The news may have a long-term positive impact on his brand and cable news show, Anderson Cooper 360.
- NY City Council Overrides Mayor Mike's Veto On Wage Hikes
June 29 2012 9:50 AM
As expected, the New York City Council voted Thursday evening to override Mayor Michael Bloomberg's veto of a measure that would raise the minimum wage of employees of some companies that receive public subsidies to $11.50 an hour, or $10 an hour with benefits.
- AOL Gets Tepid Response to $400M Buyback
June 28 2012 4:06 PM
AOL Inc. (NYSE: AOL), the No. 7 website, got a tepid response from investors Thursday, the start of a $400 million Dutch auction tender offer.
- Health Reform Supreme Court Decision: Technology Industry Impact
June 28 2012 10:26 AM
The Supreme Court?s ruling to uphold the Affordable Health Care Act will likely benefit the technology industry, from computer services providers like Hewlett-Packard Co. (NYSE: HPQ) to medical electronics makers like Agilent Technologies (NYSE: A).
- Apple Could Integrate iTunes Closer To iCloud
June 28 2012 9:38 AM
Apple (Nasdaq: AAPL), the world's most valuable technology company, may change the way iTunes works so that it?s more closely integrated with the iCloud file-storage service, news services said.
- No Surprise - Morgan Stanley, Others, Urge Facebook ?Buy?
June 27 2012 10:26 AM
Several underwriters that shared $176 million in fees from the $16 billion initial public offering of Facebook (Nasdaq: FB), the No. 1 social networking site, told investors to buy the share Wednesday.
- Curt Schilling's Downfall; Investors Call His 38 Studios A Ponzi Scheme
June 25 2012 6:18 PM
Curt Schilling plummeted from riches to rags when his video-game outfit, 38 Studios, filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy on June 7. The company's failure to raise funds from external investors crushed its cash flow, costing about 400 jobs and $75 million from taxpayers thanks to a loan guarantee from Rhode Island last year.
- The 10 Best Promos Out Of 2012's Cannes Lions
June 25 2012 2:37 PM
The 59th International Festival of Creativity, known as the Cannes Lions, wrapped up this past weekend. This year, top winners included a blank annual report and an invisible hydrogen powered Mercedes Benz.
- Dell?s Battle With Oracle: Now Bids $2.34B For Quest Software
June 25 2012 11:22 AM
Dell (Nasdaq: DELL), the No. 3 PC maker, seeking to battle Oracle (Nasdaq: ORCL), the No. 1 database developer, has bid as much as $2.34 billion for Quest Software (Nasdaq: QFST).
- Google?s Page Lost Voice; ?Nothing Seriously Wrong?
June 25 2012 9:19 AM
Google (Nasdaq: GOOG) CEO Larry Page has lost his voice, must avoid speaking and won?t deliver a speech at a Google developers? event this week in San Francisco.
- Technology Focus: Still Waiting For Digital Wallets
June 24 2012 9:56 AM
In the 1950s, a consumer who wanted to buy eyeglasses borrowed $40 from the bank. Fast-forward to 2012: how about using your digital wallet to buy those glasses with your mobile phone? Maybe later this year.