- Microsoft Gets Backing From Samsung, HTC To Battle Apple In Smartphone Wars
June 21 2012 12:09 PM
Microsoft (Nasdaq: MSFT), the world's biggest software company, has won major support from smartphone makers led by Samsung Electronics (Seoul: 005930) to battle Apple (Nasdaq: AAPL), the world's most valuable technology company.
- LANDesk Buys Wavelink For Mobile Enterprise Push
June 20 2012 8:59 AM
LANDesk Software, the venerable desktop management software developer, said it had acquired private Wavelink to extend its reach into mobile platforms like smartphones and tablets.
- Oracle?s Shift To Cloud, Rivaling Salesforce.com, Gains Traction
June 19 2012 3:00 PM
Oracle (Nasdaq: ORCL), the No. 1 database developer, reported full-year revenue rose 4 percent to $37.2 billion -- with revenue from the Cloud, or Internet-based computing, reaching a record $1 billion.
- IPO Ice Breaking? Tech Companies Test Waters As Bankers Estimate Average Deal Around $221 Million
June 19 2012 12:22 PM
A month after the $16 billion mammoth but botched initial public offering of Facebook (Nasdaq: FB), the No. 1 social networking site, the ice may be breaking for technology companies.
- Facebook To Pay $10 Million To End Calif. Lawsuit
June 18 2012 9:58 AM
Facebook (Nasdaq: FB), the No. 1 social networking site, said it would pay $10 million to charity to settle a California lawsuit in which five members claimed it has violated their privacy rights.
- Interim Yahoo Boss Makes Google Exec Revenue Officer
June 18 2012 9:13 AM
Interim Yahoo (Nasdaq: YHOO) CEO Ross Levinsohn appointed Google (Nasdaq: GOOG) advertising executive Michael Barrett as chief revenue officer, a new position.
- Microsoft?s Mooted Bid For Yammer Could Benefit Rivals Jive, LinkedIn
June 15 2012 8:27 AM
A month after the disastrous initial public offering of Facebook (Nasdaq: FB), the No. 1 social networking site, investment bankers speculate social network site Yammer could be on the block.
- 'Fiscal Cliff' Fears Weigh Heavy On Advertising Growth: Report
June 14 2012 2:45 PM
Fear of an impending fiscal cliff and uncertainty about November's presidential elections has led to a 0.8 percent projected dampening of marketing spending in 2012, according to a Thursday report from Pivotal Research Group.
- AOL Management Defeats Starboard Value Board Challenge
June 14 2012 10:26 AM
AOL (NYSE: AOL), the No. 7 website, said management had re-elected all its candidates to the board of directors, defeating three challengers nominated by Starboard Value Management, a hedge fund that owns 5.3 percent of the company.
- Amazon Cuts Cloud Costs For Web Services Clients
June 14 2012 9:03 AM
Amazon.com Inc. (Nasdaq: AMZN), the No. 1 e-retailer, said it would trim costs for its Cloud computing unit known as Amazon Web Services, which operates in 190 countries and serves clients like Netflix (Nasdaq: NFLX).
- Trimble, TomTom, Garmin - New Targets In Smartphone Mapping Frenzy?
June 14 2012 6:25 AM
Dutch navigation software specialist TomTom (Pink: TMOAF) got a major boost this week as Apple (Nasdaq: AAPL), the world's most valuable technology company, said it would collaborate with it on new software for the iPhone 4S family.
- Openet, Irish Transaction Software Vendor, Pulls In Another $21 Million
June 13 2012 2:25 PM
Openet, one of Ireland?s flourishing software developers, said it raised an additional $21 million from investors in Japan, Europe and the U.S., bringing the cumulative total raised in 13 years to $55 million.
- Democratic? Republican? Yahoo, Microsoft Know, And They Make Money From The Candidates
June 13 2012 6:28 AM
Those e-mails weren?t accidents, nor were the accompanying solicitations for funds and support, a new report by ProPublica found. The process is growing and there?s little place to hide.
- WWDC?s Big Miss - Where?s Apple TV?
June 12 2012 1:18 PM
Now that Apple (Nasdaq: AAPL), the world's most valuable technology company, has opened its Worldwide Developers Conference with the usual product splash, what happened to Apple TV?
- TomTom Gets Boost From New Apple Tie
June 12 2012 9:57 AM
TomTom (Pink:TMOAF), the Dutch navigation software specialist, is already benefiting from its new tie to Apple (Nasdaq: AAPL), the world's most valuable technology company, which hired it to provide data for the iPhone.
- Can Starboard Value's Effort Put AOL Online Again?
June 12 2012 6:09 AM
Thursday will see a showdown over the near-term future of AOL (NYSE: AOL), the No. 7 website, which in its heyday was American Online, the biggest email provider, as well as a company big enough to swallow Time Warner.
- Technology Focus: Just How Will ?Big Data? Tap The Cloud?
June 10 2012 10:21 AM
By making the Internet universal and ubiquitous, though, technology also eroded corporate control. No longer will International Business Machines Corp. (NYSE: IBM) or Hewlett-Packard Co. (NYSE: HPQ) completely control everything in their networks, despite their networks of worldwide data centers.
- Apple?s Worldwide Developers Conference: New Product Highlights
June 08 2012 2:16 PM
Thousands of software and application engineers have already sold out next week?s developers conference mounted by Apple (Nasdaq: AAPL), the world's most valuable technology company. Here are four key highlights.
- Facebook Shares Rise On Early ComScore Data
June 08 2012 8:57 AM
Shares of Facebook (Nasdaq: FB), the No. 1 social networking site, rose sharply Friday trading after a preliminary report by comScore (Nasdaq: SCOR) that its advertisements are effective.
- Apple Extends Pre-paid iPhone Push Adding Virgin Mobile
June 07 2012 12:41 PM
Apple (Nasdaq: AAPL), the world's most valuable technology company, extended its push into the pre-paid mobile market by adding Virgin Mobile USA, which will sell the device for between $30 and $50 a month.