- ALEC Disbands Task Force On ‘Stand Your Ground’ After Liberal, Rights Groups Protest
April 18 2012 1:18 PM
The conservative American Legislative Exchange Council disbanded a task force that had advocated for “Stand Your Ground” laws in states as well as voter identification laws.
- Berkshire Hathaway Shares Shrug Off Buffett News
April 18 2012 9:54 AM
Shares of Berkshire Hathaway (NYSE: BRK/A) shrugged off news that CEO Warren E. Buffett has prostate cancer and will require treatment soon.
- Earnings Preview: Microsoft’s 3Q To Gain From Higher PC Sales
April 18 2012 6:54 AM
Microsoft (Nasdaq: MSFT), the world's biggest software company, is expected to report slightly lower third-quarter results Thursday, despite the slight uptick in PC sales.
- AOL Wins First Pulitzer Prize But Shares Dip 1%
April 16 2012 3:57 PM
Shares of AOL, the No. 5 website, fell 1 percent in late Monday trading even after the troubled company won its first Pulitzer Prize.
- Moody's Downgrades Nokia's Rating, Says Transition Challenging
April 16 2012 10:06 AM
Moody’s Investors Service on Monday downgraded the rating of Finland-based mobile maker Nokia from Baa3 to Baa2, a move in response to the company’s announcement of sharp decline in mobile sales in the first quarter this year.
- Google Shares Ease After Split News, Upgrades
April 13 2012 9:50 AM
Shares of Google (Nasdaq: GOOG), the No. 1 search engine eased slightly in Friday trading despite announcing an initial stock split and some analyst price upgrades.
- Google 1Q Earnings Beat Estimate; Announces Stock Split
April 12 2012 4:20 PM
Google reported first-quarter financial results that beat analysts' estimates by a wide margin.
- AT&T, McDonalds Urged To Quit Industry Group In ‘Stand Your Ground’ Controversy
April 11 2012 5:11 PM
Liberal and civil rights groups have called on leading companies including AT&T and McDonald’s to drop their memberships in the conservative American Legislative Exchange Council.
- IBM Sets ‘PureSystems’ Model For Cloud Services
April 11 2012 12:51 PM
International Business Machines Corp. (NYSE: IBM), the No. 2 computer services provider, announced a new campaign called “PureSystems” to sell computers and software for cloud computing.
- Adelson Eyes $35B Spanish Las Vegas
April 11 2012 11:20 AM
Billionaire casino mogul Sheldon Adelson announced on Wednesday plans to open a casino strip in Spain, pushing for a $35 billion casino complex in either Barcelona or Madrid.
- US Sues Apple, 5 Publishers Over Alleged E-Book Price-Fixing
April 11 2012 10:48 AM
U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder said Apple and publishers worked to eliminate competition. Three publishers settled the case.
- Starboard, AOL Investor, Blasts Patent Sales
April 10 2012 5:11 PM
Starboard Value, the hedge fund that owns 5.3 percent of AOL (NYSE: AOL), the No. 4 website, denounced AOL’s sales of patents as inadequate.
- Dataminr, Bin Laden Death Detector, Sets Twitter Deal
April 09 2012 3:17 PM
Dataminr, a social media software developer that detected the attack on Osama Bin Laden’s compound and reported it first, said it established an alliance with Twitter.
- Facebook To Buy Instagram For $1 Billion
April 09 2012 1:35 PM
Facebook Inc., the world's biggest social network, said Monday it will buy Instagram, the photo-sharing application with over 30 million users, for $1 billion in cash and shares as it seeks to compete with other major technology firms.
- Splunk, ‘Big Data’ Analyzer, Prices IPO At Top Of Range
April 09 2012 11:55 AM
Splunk Inc., a developer of software that helps companies analyze data, plans to sell 13.5 million shares for $8 to $10 in its initial public offering.
- AOL Shares Skyrocket After Microsoft Patent Sale
April 09 2012 9:11 AM
Shares of AOL (NYSE: AOL), the seventh-most-visited website, jumped nearly 50 percent in Monday trading after announcing a $1.1 billion patent deal with Microsoft.
- Thousands At AT&T Stay On Job As Talks Continue
April 09 2012 8:41 AM
More than 40,000 employees at AT&T Inc will keep working under the terms of an expired labor contract while their union continues negotiations with the telephone company, averting a potentially costly strike for now.
- RIM In Play: 5 Prospective Bidders For BlackBerry
April 04 2012 3:15 PM
Now that Canadian telecommunications powerhouse Research in Motion (Nasdaq: RIMM) has a new boss and a new outlook, the BlackBerry developer is in play. Here are some prospective buyers.
- Yahoo To Fire 2,000 As New CEO Moves Vs. Activist
April 04 2012 9:35 AM
Yahoo Inc., the No. 2 search engine, said it will fire 2,000 employees starting Wednesday and incur a charge as high as $145 million in the second quarter.
- Groupon Shares Plunge After Earnings Restatement
April 02 2012 9:54 AM
After markets closed Friday, the Chicago-based daily-deals provider disclosed in a regulatory filing that it would adjust fourth-quarter and full-year 2011 earnings downward.