- China To Overtake US In Smartphone Shipments By End Of 2012: IDC
August 31 2012 6:47 AM
Thanks to strong end-user demand for lower-priced smartphones, China, the largest market for smartphones this year, will overtake the US as the global leader in smartphone shipments in 2012, according to a new report by IDC.
- Apple App Store Turns Down Controversial App That Tracks US Drone Strikes (VIDEO)
August 31 2012 5:12 AM
Cupertino giant Apple seems to have left an app developer lost as it has continuously rejected an application from its App Store.
- Apple iPhone 5: Possible Trouble Ahead For Company As Samsung To Hit Back Over LTE Patents After Release
August 31 2012 1:43 AM
Many people may think that Apple's victory could be the end of the epic Apple v. Samsung patent-infringement lawsuit, but it's not. According to a new report, Samsung would immediately file a lawsuit against Apple after the release of the iPhone 5 if the handset features 4G LTE technology.
- HP Sets New Low, Week After Posting Biggest-Ever Loss
August 30 2012 4:43 PM
Shares of Hewlett-Packard Co. (NYSE: HPQ), the No. 1 computer company, set a new 52-week low of $16.77 on Thursday, after posting a record third-quarter loss last week and reducing earnings estimates for the current quarter.
- Google, Apple CEOs Try To Mediate Patent Disputes: Report
August 30 2012 3:51 PM
Patent resolution talks have been conducted by Apple (Nasdaq: AAPL) CEO Tim Cook and Google (Nasdaq: CEO) Larry Page and may continue, Reuters reported.
- Amazon Sells Out Of Kindle Fire, Then Says It's Making Big Annoucment Next Week
August 30 2012 3:10 PM
Perhaps it's no coincidence that a week before Amazon is set to make a big announcement it has sold out of the popular Kindle Fire. Is this is prequel to the sequel?
- Video Game 'Madden NFL 13' Sells Record 900K Copies In One Day
August 30 2012 2:06 PM
Electronic Arts Inc. said in a statement Thursday that "Madden NFL 13," the latest iteration of its iconic football video game franchise, sold about 900,000 in its first 24 hours on retail shelves. Citing "internal estimates," EA said the sale was a 7 percent increase from last year's launch, making it the highest-performing launch title for the franchise for the console generation.
- Can Tweeting The Workday Away Save The Economy?
August 30 2012 1:04 PM
A new report released by the business consulting giant McKinsey Global Institute, showed that social-media tools stand to add $900 billion to $1.3 trillion to the economy, largely through increased productivity among skilled workers.
- Zuckerberg Pal Moskovitz Sells More Facebook Shares
August 30 2012 11:25 AM
Dustin Moskovitz, the Facebook (Nasdaq: FB) co-founder, sold 450,000 more shares this week to raise about $8.9 million, a week after he sold his first tranche of 450,000 shares when the lock-up period for insiders expired.
- Cloud Computing? Relates To Weather, Citrix Survey Finds
August 30 2012 9:16 AM
Americans have no idea what cloud computing is, with many believing it relates to the weather, or even pillows, drugs and toilet paper, a new survey commissioned by enterprise software developer Citrix Systems Inc. (Nasdaq: CTXS) found.
- Apple Vs Samsung Lawsuit Will Spawn More Patent Trials; Patents Are New Currency In Knowledge-Based Economy: Expert (Exclusive Interview)
August 30 2012 8:02 AM
Patent expert Alexander Poltorak, CEO and chairman of General Patent Corporation, advocates multi-tier patent system, specialized patent courts and arbitration forums as the key facilitators for the speedy resolution of increasing number of patent disputes and dubs patents as the new currency in Knowledge-Based Economy.
- Best Buy Private Equity Bid: Who Has The Bucks For A Big Deal?
August 30 2012 6:19 AM
Can Richard Schulze, the 71-year-old founding CEO of Best Buy Co. (NYSE: BBY) put his money where his mouth is? Can he fork up billions from private eqiuity behemoths like KKR (NYSE: KKR)?
- Samsung Appeal On Apple Verdict? Not ‘Til Dec. 6, Judge Rules
August 29 2012 3:11 PM
Samsung Electronics (Seoul: 005930) may have lost a $1.05 billion judgment to Apple (Nasdaq: AAPL), the world's most valuable technology company, but it’s won a temporary reprieve from the judge on product bans and other retaliatory measures.
- Zynga Regains Facebook Prominence Amid Continuing Departures
August 29 2012 2:06 PM
Three weeks after Zynga launched its latest sim-style game "ChefVille" on Facebook -- the social media platform that Zynga itself blamed for most of its current financial woes -- the game developer is slowly crawling its way back to the top of the social gaming food chain, new data shows.
- Yelp Shares Soar 25% As Lockup Expires Contra Facebook’s Huge Decline
August 29 2012 12:41 PM
Shares of Yelp Inc. (Nasdaq: YELP), the provider of online reviews of local businesses and restaurants, surged more than 25 percent Wednesday as the lock-up period for insiders expired, allowing them to sell stock in the San Francisco-based company for the first time since its march 1 initial public offering.
- Apple iPhone 5 Event May Introduce AirPlay Direct To iOS Family
August 29 2012 11:04 AM
A new report on Tuesday said Apple is planning to upgrade its wireless music streaming technology known as AirPlay in the coming month. Word is the announcement will come when the company debuts the new iPhone. The new technology, using the working title "AirPlay Direct," is said to eliminate the need for a Wi-Fi network, which means that iOS devices like iPhones, iPads, and iPod Touchs may be able to beam music directly to a speaker system.
- Another Zynga Exec Quits After ‘Soul-Searching’
August 29 2012 9:36 AM
Mike Verdu, chief creative officer of Zynga Inc. (Nasdaq: ZNGA) quit the San Francisco-based electronic gaming website , becoming the fifth top official to depart in August.
- KKR May Invest More Than $1B In Japan’s Renesas Electronics
August 29 2012 8:56 AM
Legendary private equity investor Kohlberg Kravis Roberts (NYSE: KKR) may seek to acquire control of Japan’s Renesas Electronics (Tokyo: 6723) for a 100 million yen (US $1.27 billion) investment, which would be its largest in Japan, financial news agencies reported.
- Samsung Fighting Apple's Bid To Ban Phones After Verdict
August 28 2012 6:28 PM
Samsung vowed Tuesday to fight Apple's request to ban U.S. sales of some of its smartphones from U.S. stores following its landmark lawsuit verdict last week.
- ZeekRewards Receiver Estimates 2 Million Victims; Probe's Like 'Drinking From a Firehose'
August 28 2012 5:25 PM
The receiver who was handed control of Paul Burks' company Rex Venture Group and ZeekRewards following its forced closure by the SEC told reporters that trying to following the money collected through hundreds of thousands of Zeek affliates has been like "drinking from a firehose."