- Facebook IPO: ‘Social Media’ Becomes Anti-Social For Investors
August 22 2012 3:14 PM
The good news for investors in Facebook (Nasdaq: FB), the No. 1 social networking site, is that the shares didn’t set a new, post-initial public offering low on Wednesday. But they have come close, trading as low as $18.96 before recovering to $19.40, up 24 cents in late trading.
- Black Isle, The Company Behind 'Planescape: Torment' And The Original 'Fallout' Making A Comeback
August 22 2012 2:54 PM
Black Isle, the company behind such games as the original post-apocalyptic RPG “Fallout” and “Planescape: Torment” has apparently been revived by Interplay, according to Kotaku.
- Mars Rover Curiosity Landing: Watch NASA's First HD Video Of The Descent To Gale Crater [VIDEO]
August 22 2012 2:52 PM
More than two weeks after the Curiosity rover successfully landed on Mars, NASA on Wednesday finally released a full-resolution video of Curiosity's descent to the red planet. You can view the video here, or at the bottom of this page.
- Apple iPhone 5 Release Date Approaches: 5 Reasons You Should Wait To Sell Your Current Phone
August 22 2012 12:32 PM
We're less than a month away from the alleged unveiling date for the iPhone 5, and Apple fans can't wait to get their hands on the company's latest model, which promises a new exterior design and hundreds of new features inside. While selling an old smartphone or iPhone before the next one releases has a few benefits, by and large, most users should wait to sell their old iPhones to buy an iPhone 5. We explain five reasons to wait it out.
- Mac OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.1 Update: Apple Addresses Battery Life, Safari, Mail Clients
August 22 2012 10:37 AM
Mac OS X Mountain Lion has out in the wild for a month now, and by and large, users are very happy with Apple's biggest new cat. Apple will address some of the most common issues reported among early adopters of Mountain Lion in the 10.8.1 update, but on Tuesday, it's been reported that the first maintenance upgrade "substantially" improves battery life on MacBook laptops.
- eBay’s Pay Pal, Discover To Partner In e-Payments In 2013
August 22 2012 9:31 AM
Online auctioneer eBay (Nasdaq: EBAY) will team with Discover Financial Services (NYSE: DFS) to offer electronic payments in as many as seven million U.S. outlets next year, the companies announced. The move is intended to spur e-payments among users of smartphones.
- Hewlett-Packard 3Q Earnings: Will It Be Whitman’s Final Loss?
August 22 2012 8:02 AM
Hewlett-Packard Co. (NYSE: HPQ), the world’s biggest computer company, has nowhere to go but up. Scheduled to report third-quarter financials after the market close Wednesday, investors and technologists will be watching for signs that its restructuring and massive write-offs are over.
- Dell?s 2Q Misses Estimates; Projects Low Growth As Shares Plunge
August 21 2012 4:19 PM
Dell (Nasdaq: DELL), the No. 3 PC maker, reported second-quarter results that missed analyst?s estimates. Worse, the company said it expected third-quarter performance to fall below expectations.
- RIP Nintendo Power Magazine: 1988-2012
August 21 2012 3:11 PM
One of the longest-running printed video game magazines in the U.S. in Canada, Nintendo Power magazine will finally close its doors after a 24-year run. Nintendo Power is dead. Long live Nintendo Power.
- Electronic-Arts Owned PopCap Video Game Studio Lays Off Employees, Potentially Closing Down International Studio
August 21 2012 3:10 PM
Gamasutra reports that Electronic-Arts owned PopCap video game studio has issued a round of layoffs and closed down one of its international studios.
- Electronic Arts Pulls Promo For Real-World Weapon Sales From Medal Of Honor Website
August 21 2012 2:25 PM
Electronic Arts Inc. (Nasdaq: EA) has removed a controversial promotion from the website for its upcoming military shooter "Medal of Honor: Warfighter" video game to sell branded weapons to the general public.
- IBM Buys Texas Memory To Battle Intel-Micron Flash JV
August 21 2012 12:43 PM
International Business Machines Corp. (NYSE: IBM), the no. 2 computer maker that?s also one of the biggest chipmakers, said it plans to acquire private Texas Memory Systems to bolster its offerings in the flash-memory sector crucial for new servers and mobile products.
- Apple iPhone 5 Rumors: Release Date In September, Says German Carrier Mobilcom Debitel
August 21 2012 11:51 AM
In case you needed any more confirmation that Apple's next iPhone is coming in September, German carrier Mobilcom Debitel has added fuel to the iPhone 5 fire. The company is now featuring a page on their site with a red veil covering what appears to be an iPhone, hinting at its September release date.
- Rally Puts Apple Stock (AAPL) In Spotlight; Experts Identify IBM As Most Valuable Company
August 21 2012 8:39 AM
The Apple stock (AAPL) has emerged a market favorite ahead of the September 12 event, cited to be the probable launch date for next-generation iPhone, iPhone 5 and iPad Mini. Witnessing a huge rally for the last few days, the stock closed August 20 at an all-time high of $665.15 resulting in a market capitalization value of $665.15 billion.
- Defriended: Early Facebook Backer In $400m Share Sell-Off
August 21 2012 8:14 AM
News of the Paypal co-founder's exit comes a day after several of Groupon Inc's [NASDAQ: GRPN] largest early investors sold their stock in the troubled online voucher site.
- Dell 2Q Earnings Preview: Now In Third Place, Where?s New Growth?
August 21 2012 5:54 AM
Dell is scheduled to report second-quarter results Tuesday below last year?s. For the first time, the company founded by Chairman Michael S. Dell nearly 30 years ago in a dorm room will be ranked No. 3 in PC sales, having lost its No. 2 ranking last quarter to China?s Lenovo Group.
- Technology?s Cash Piles: Top U.S. Leaders Stash Nears $400B
August 20 2012 4:03 PM
Don?t say technology companies aren?t enormously profitable. An IBTimes review of the cash and investment holdings of 11 of the top technology leaders shows they are sitting atop nearly $375 billion in cash and investments ? or about 24 percent more since the last survey nine months ago.
- Apple (AAPL) Stock Price Becomes Most Valuable In History, But There?s Still More Work To Do
August 20 2012 3:54 PM
After enjoying a record-breaking quarter earlier this year, Apple posted yet another milestone on Monday, this time for its stock. With its stock reaching $660.73 a share early Monday morning, Apple finally surpassed Microsoft as the most valuable publicly-traded stock ever, achieving a market capitalization of $619.37 billion, the largest cap ever recorded.
- Apple iPhone 5 Components Sell In China For $199: How Legitimate Is The Listing?
August 20 2012 2:10 PM
Apple fans can't wait to get their hands on the iPhone 5, Apple's sixth-generation smartphone believed to finally debut and hit stores next month. But for those who can't wait for the finalized product, China GadgetLand is selling what it claims to be a full "iPhone 5" set, complete with an LCD screen and digitizer assembly, for just $199.
- Apple, Google Set New Records For Valuation
August 20 2012 2:08 PM
Apple (Nasdaq: AAPL), the world's most valuable technology company, continued its tear as its shares keep setting all-time records in Monday trading. Earlier, its shares hit $664.75, valuing the Cupertino, Calif., company above $621 billion for the first time, more than any other company?s prior value.