- WikiLeaks' founder has been living in Ecuador's London embassy to avoid being extradited to Sweden, where he faces sexual assault charges.
- The Netherlands became the first country to approve a national gay marriage law in 2001.
- Health advocates say USAID's operation in Cuba may deepen other countries' mistrust of U.S. programs. Ebola prevention might be affected.
- Five Latin American governments have recalled ambassadors from Israel over fighting in Gaza, and more may follow suit. Israel reacted with very strong words.
- The brainchild of late Venezuelan president Hugo Chavez is attempting to win over a younger, English-speaking global audience.
- Cannabis use in the United States has increased due to the lower perceived risk, according to the 2014 UN Drug Report.