- Italian authorities sent boats to the scene and 55 people have been rescued.
Global Warming ‘Hiatus’ Caused By Volcanoes’ ‘Cooling Effect,’ Study Says Eruptions Slow Global Temperature RiseAccording to a new study of volcanoes’ effect on climate change, volcanic eruptions are the reason the average rate of global warming has slowed since 1998.
- What passport you hold says a lot more than you may realize about your access to the world.
- The drones have been banished to the desert, but Djibouti remains a major hub for U.S. counterterrorism ops in the Horn of Africa.
- Somalia needs a fiscal renaissance, something the outgoing bank governor couldn't deliver.
- Pope Francis used his first official trip outside of Rome to visit the Italian island of Lampedusa, where hundreds of migrants die each year.
- Until recently Tunisia was considered to be a minor league and relatively underexplored venue in Africa's rapidly expanding oil & gas scene. This situation has quickly changed with new bid rounds and forced relinquishments creating an opportunity for new companies to come in. Major American E & P companies like Shell have jumped at the opportunity to acquire ground that had been dominated for decades with little to no work conducted, mostly by European State oil & gas companies in this former French protectorate. For the first time major spending has been committed to test Tunisian basins which are arguably equally prolific as those in neighbouring environments with more work performed, such as Libya.
- A mutiny in Asmara has raised new questions about the nature of dissent in Eritrea.
- Human rights abuses of foreign nationals in Libya have increased since the overthrow of Muammar Gaddafi, Amnesty International says.
- Arab racism against black people is deeply-rooted and stretches back centuries.
- Egypt's Coptic Christian Pope Shenouda III passed away today, but you'd be forgiven for never having heard of him.
- Gas prices have risen to above $4 per gallon in many parts of the United States, sending economists into a tizzy about its impact on consumer spending, consumer confidence and the effects it will have on the housing market.
- Italy has been fined by a European court for violating the human rights of African migrants.
- Sunridge Gold Corp. is pleased to announce that it has received a new independent resource estimate for the Adi Nefas zinc-gold-copper volcanogenic-massive-sulphide deposit on the Company's 100% owned Asmara Project, Eritrea.