- No casualties have been reported, after waves generated by the earthquake hit an Indonesian island, without causing major damage.
- “Sri Lanka has a long history of political violence on a scale unimaginable to Australians,” says head of Australian refugee council.
- The $19 billion project is estimated to produce nearly 7 million tons of LNG per year for 30 years.
Powerful 7.8-Magnitude Earthquake Rocks Papua New Guinea, Region ‘More Active Than Usual,’ Says OfficialA strong 7.8-magnitude earthquake struck off the coast of Papua New Guinea on Saturday, according to the U.S. Geological Survey.
- Australia reportedly sends asylum seekers arriving by boat for detention and processing in offshore camps.
- A drawing of a kangaroo in a 16th century prayer book suggests Portuguese explorers may have been the first to discover Australia.
- Everything you need to know about the 2013 solar eclipse, including live stream footage from Slooh.
- Iran, Papua New Guinea and Oklahoma all experienced earthquakes on the same day.
- Police in Papua New Guinea have arrested 100 people for last week's witch burning and rescued two more women.
- The latest horrific murder of a Papua New Guinea woman by a vigilante mob has led to calls from local officials for an end to such killings.
- A tsunami warning has been issued for South Pacific islands after a 8.0 magnitude quake struck off the Solomon Islands.