- No casualties have been reported, after waves generated by the earthquake hit an Indonesian island, without causing major damage.
Powerful 7.8-Magnitude Earthquake Rocks Papua New Guinea, Region ‘More Active Than Usual,’ Says OfficialA strong 7.8-magnitude earthquake struck off the coast of Papua New Guinea on Saturday, according to the U.S. Geological Survey.
- A new study has found more than 180 species of fish glow in shades of either neon greed, red and orange.
- Six people were killed as an earthquake triggered a tsunami that sent massive waves crashing into several South Pacific islands.
- A tsunami warning has been issued for South Pacific islands after a 8.0 magnitude quake struck off the Solomon Islands.
- The World Health Organization (WHO) has pegged a per capita investment of US $3 to $ 4 for managing mental health as part of its initiative on World Mental Health day. 2011 commemorates the 20th year of World Mental Health day and this year’s campaign focuses on, Investing in mental health”, noting that financial and human resources allocated for mental health are inadequate especially in low resource countries.
- Here’s a list issued by NEIC showing details of above 2.5 magnitude earthquake recorded at 12 places on Saturday, May 21, 2011.