A self-imposed 10-day blackout aboard a luxury cruise ship had many wondering whether the 1,900 passengers on board would get any sort of compensation for the inconvenience. The 104 day Sea Princess cruise went dark for more than a week while sailing through the Indian Ocean due to the very "real" threat of a pirate attack. The passengers, however, had been warned in advance about the potential for modern-day piracy on the high seas.

Passengers revealed that for 10 days they were subject to a dusk-to-dawn blackout on the ship.

Read: Are Cruises Safe?

"No deck parties, no movies under the stars, no late-night outdoor bar hopping or pool dipping," passenger Carolyne Jasinski wrote of the experience. "No lights, no party atmosphere, no lapping up tropical breezes on their balconies. All around the ship, as the sun set, all curtains were drawn and all shutters closed. Bright lights, which normally signal the presence of the Sea Princess on the ocean, were dimmed or turned off altogether."

The Princess Cruises passage contract, however, had a section explicitly addressing safety and security threats the vessel could encounter, the Miami Herald reported Thursday. The passengers, who shelled out around $40,000 for the trip, were warned well in advance of the possibility of traveling in blackout conditions in response to any sort of threat.

"The United States Department of State and other similar government agencies regularly issue advisories and warnings to travelers giving details of local conditions in specified cities and countries according to such agency's perception of risks to travelers," the contract states. "Although unlikely, the ship may be confronted by actual or threatened war, warlike operations or hostilities. Carrier has the absolute right and sole discretion to respond to safety concerns of any kind, including but not limited to sailing with or without lights, deviating from customary practices or rules and regulations concerning navigation, cargo or other matters in times of peace, or sailing armed or unarmed and with or without convoy."

In a statement to the Telegraph, the cruise ship's operator said there was no specific threat from pirates but that they chose to take precautionary measures.

Read: Woman's 'Suspicious' Death On Cruise Ship Investigated By FBI

"Any measures aboard Sea Princess were simply taken out of an abundance [of] caution and not in response to a specific threat and are common to international shipping sailing in the region," the spokesperson said. 

Piracy in the Indian Ocean is not unheard of. After the hijacking of a merchant vessel in March by Somali pirates, an estimated half a dozen additional incidents of piracy have been reported in the Indian Ocean, according to an analysis written by Neil Thompson for the Maritime Security Review.

The North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) has consistently operated in the area between 2008 and 2016 to deter what it called "high levels of piracy activity."