For fashionistas of the digital era, Cyber Monday is a holiday unto itself.
Cyber Monday 2011 is slated to be one of the biggest shopping extravaganzas of the year, after Black Friday, of course.
Since its creation in 2005, Cyber Monday has been known as the day for online shopping. The day was coined based on the notion that online sales would increase on the Monday following Thanksgiving. And it turned out to be true, as droves of shoppers continue to take advantage of holiday sales by shopping online from work.
Business News Daily reports that last year, e-commerce sales topped $1 billion in one day. This marks exponential growth from 2005, when revenue sales were calculated at $484 million.
With Black Friday quickly approaching and Cyber Monday following close behind, shoppers must have a plan of attack for the discount mania. Cyber Monday is rife with excitement, but it requires adequate planning. The Better Business Bureau has put out a set of guidelines for how shoppers should approach this day.
Create a realistic budget. Know whom you are buying gifts for and how much you want to spend. This will allow you to keep track of spinning and avoid impulse-buys. While at the stores (or online), make sure you understand the return policies. Remember that return policies apply to the day you made the actual purchase, not the day you gave the gift. Keep gift receipts for exchange purposes.
Here are some sale codes and Web sites for your shopping pleasure.
Some companies are offering Cyber Monday (and pre-Cyber Monday) online sales. Here is a list of some useful savings codes to use when completing your online purchase.
Yves Saint Laurent 20 percent off + free shipping - CYBER (expires Nov. 24)
Express $15 off $30, $30 off $75, $60 off $150 - 1846 (expires Nov. 22)
Juicy Couture $50 off $200 - GIFTED (expires Dec. 18)
Ann Taylor 40 percent off - THANKS (expires Nov. 27)
Steve Madden 25 percent off + free shipping - TURKEY (expires Nov. 24)
Benefit free high beam mini with $35 purchase - HLDYMINI (expires Nov. 28)
Kiehl's $20 off $65 - HOLIDAY (expires Dec. 31)
Bliss 15 percent off $240 on Bio-Medical Research Products - THANKSBM (expires Nov. 29)
Saks Fifth Avenue free shipping on all orders - HOLIDAY (expires Nov. 29)
Banana Republic 40 percent off dresses - BRFESTIVE (expires Nov. 22)
Top 10 Web Sites:
There are some sites that are worth visiting, deal or no deal. Here are the top 10 sites to visit on Cyber Monday. If there is a sale, well, that's an added perk.
1. LN-CC.com - For the coolest compilation of fashions, music and books around. The site is offering a 20 percent discount (plus free international shipping) until Nov. 29 in celebration of Cyber Monday. Just enter the code CYBERMONDAY20.
2. Ofakind.com - Featuring a unique medley of fashion finds from the some of the newest designers on the scene.
3. Netaporter.com - For the hottest luxury designer goods of the season.
4. Outnet.com - Always a go-to for deals on exclusive designer labels like Alexander McQueen, Chloe and Diane Von Furstenberg.
5. Loquitanyc.com - Thanks to Gwyneth Paltrow (via GOOP), customers get 20 percent off all scarf and pareo orders through Dec. 15. Just enter the code GOOP20.
6. Sarahcole.com - Again, thanks to Paltrow, customers get 20 percent off the Ella bracelet through Dec. 15. Just enter the code GOOP20.
7. Piperlime.com - High and low priced items, picked out by some of fashion's favorite faces (like Rachel Zoe, Olivia Palmero and Rachel Bilson)
8. B-glowing.com - A Women's Wear Daily recommended site, featuring the best beauty items and body products on the market.
9. Kentonsorenson.com - For the best men's handmade, high-quality leather goods.
10. Oasis-stores.com - Based in the UK, this store has some of the trendiest (and most unique) styles at inexpensive prices.